Bridge collapse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That bridge is 64 years old, it was in terrible shape with chunks of concrete falling off, and cracks everywhere under it. You can see in some of the photos posted that the metal was even rotten around the joints, along with crumbling concrete and band-aid patches everywhere. Nobody can reasonably say that all these bridges crumbling apart like this one is just cosmetic. If all it took was a puny boom lift to knock a bridge down then it was probably going to fall soon anyway. This bridge has been smacked several times at least in the last several years, some of those were fairly significant too.

I wonder how this will pan out as far as paying for and repairs etc. Will it work out like typical auto insurance does, where they access the value of the bridge and compensate for depreciation? It is was my decision the compensation would be a small fraction of what a new bridge would cost.

It's older than me.....haha

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the perfect opportunity to interject this...

Www.11foot8.com

That's strangely satisfying to watch. Maybe I'm a sadist.

I had some junk I worked on geet stuck under the train trestle on 169 just north of Pine one time. That's about the fastest one could stop a big rig. I hope those drivers had their belts on. Even if they did, they are wearing quite the seatbelt shaped bruise I bet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they rotomilled the old asphalt roadbed before resurfacing it probably didn't raise the height of the road at all. But we should defer our comments and judgements to the resident expert.

Ok, I get it...shut my mouth, I'm not allowed to comment on this subject.
See the curb line? The elevation of NW highway has never been raised because of overlays. I have certainly seen cases where overlays were done and the road elevation was right up there with the top of curb but not in this case and never under an overpass. If they want to put down 4" of overlay, they must remove 4" first, sometimes more if they want to increase clearance.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my memory isn't failing me, this is not the first such incident at this location. As I recall, sometime in the 80's, or so, a hauled unit didn't make it under the bridge, either. Bridge was out of commission for a while, but it didn't go down. Could have weakened it for this incident, though.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If my memory isn't failing me, this is not the first such incident at this location. As I recall, sometime in the 80's, or so, a hauled unit didn't make it under the bridge, either. Bridge was out of commission for a while, but it didn't go down. Could have weakened it for this incident, though.
This bridge has been hit many, many times since 1980

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom