Bridge collapse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That bridge is 64 years old, it was in terrible shape with chunks of concrete falling off, and cracks everywhere under it. You can see in some of the photos posted that the metal was even rotten around the joints, along with crumbling concrete and band-aid patches everywhere. Nobody can reasonably say that all these bridges crumbling apart like this one is just cosmetic. If all it took was a puny boom lift to knock a bridge down then it was probably going to fall soon anyway. This bridge has been smacked several times at least in the last several years, some of those were fairly significant too.

I wonder how this will pan out as far as paying for and repairs etc. Will it work out like typical auto insurance does, where they access the value of the bridge and compensate for depreciation? It is was my decision the compensation would be a small fraction of what a new bridge would cost.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good news is no injuries or deaths. Plenty of time for the lawyers to do their thing.

Meanwhile inquiring minds want to know if the sounds of jack hammers are breaking the night to clear the road for commuters tomorrow. If this were Asia, I would say yes. But here the investigation is probably not even done yet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt it will ever happen. Its business 60, but it turns before the underpass a half block away. A rail road occupies the top of the underpass so it can't be raised, and Phillips Oil occupies both sides of the road going into it. I guess anything is possible. The truckers would sure like it.
Give me an a bit and I'll see if that's in the work plan.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
US 60 is it? Give me exact location from nearest junction of any other highway.
US 60 is getting a very high priced makeover east of Ponca from SH 99 (I think) east over in Osage CO. Realignment to bring it up to 65mph. We scoped that 13 years ago. It's a slow process.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
US 60 goes south going into Ponca in a big curve that goes around town and through the tank farm of the former Conoco refinery that is now Phillips.
Business 60 goes into town on west south avenue, and turns north on Pine street about a half block before the underpass.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That bridge is 64 years old, it was in terrible shape with chunks of concrete falling off, and cracks everywhere under it. You can see in some of the photos posted that the metal was even rotten around the joints, along with crumbling concrete and band-aid patches everywhere. Nobody can reasonably say that all these bridges crumbling apart like this one is just cosmetic. If all it took was a puny boom lift to knock a bridge down then it was probably going to fall soon anyway. This bridge has been smacked several times at least in the last several years, some of those were fairly significant too.

I wonder how this will pan out as far as paying for and repairs etc. Will it work out like typical auto insurance does, where they access the value of the bridge and compensate for depreciation? It is was my decision the compensation would be a small fraction of what a new bridge would cost.
So your a structural engineer?
The deck was failing, granted, but not enough to condemn it. Some timber bridges you drive across on county roads may look better but are far worse underneath. The super structure is what's most critical...mmmkay?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom