carried but never fired ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see new guns in my classes that do not run; rare but it happens. Memorable is a Glock 21 that had a defective striker pin tip that half sheered off with less than 20 rounds through it. It fired about half the time after that. A new striker put it back into 100% service.

A few years back I acquired a S&W revolver built in the 1970's that looked new. It had been fired a tiny bit. After I took ownership I found out why. It had some factory assembly tolerance issues preventing it from being anything near dependable. Likely the previous owner tossed it back into his safe corner with intentions to send it back to the factory but never did. Yes, the problems were correctable and it now runs perfectly as it should.

My personal rule is that a gun I will carry MUST have fired 250 rounds, of which the last 200 have been 100% trouble-free. After that 250 rounds run-in period, a quality handgun has MANY 100's of rounds, usually many 1000's, of 100% dependability before use-based repairs intervene.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything I carry gets minimum 500 and usually 1000 before I will carry it. From a trust standpoint and familiarity. It's idiotic to carry something you've never shot IMO.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know about 500 or 1000 rounds, but I do fire enough to know what she'll do if needed. As to those who carry but don't fire, well a fool is born everyday!!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But is 500 or 1,000 rounds some "standard" it just a personal thing? That's a lot of rounds to run through a gun...

Sent from my iPhone

That's not a lot of rounds through a handgun by my standards, but YMMV. My philosophy was a mix of instructors' teachings that I happen to agree with. I've seen many post a similar philosophy on various forums so it's definitely not my secret.

Latest posts

Top Bottom