Coburn sold us out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm quite familiar with the Bill of Rights. You are missing the point. There has to be a process for determining if said legislation "suspends, revokes, or limits those rights" and should go through the Constitutional amendment process.

N2sooners answered the question a little more logically, thanks. If the committee's are the firewall, how did they get this bill past the committe process?

I'm not sure it ever did. I think it was done behind closed doors with reacharounds and promises involving "Presidential Kneepads". I think thats what people are so pissed about. I could be wrong though. I'm sure someone will set me straight if so...

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A vote for Cloture is not a vote on the merits of a piece of legislation. See above.

I don't need to see above as I'm fully aware of how parliamentary procedure works. I am saying that the bill in question shouldn't even be debated.

A vote for cloture is supposed to be a 4 day process once fillibuster begins anyway.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coburn: While I support a debate in the Senate on gun related issues-including reaffirming these rights and forcing gun-control advocates to have their votes on record and be held accountable for their votes-I will not only support, but lead a filibuster to prevent the passage of any bill that limits the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

What kind of game is this guy playing? Someone who repeatedly has to explain himself is most likely a liar. This altruistic nonsense form letter crap doesn't hold water. If you believe in something you vote your belief. I think he's playing both sides against the middle. I think he's making as many Washington allies as possible in order to set himself up for a lucrative lobbyist position after his term is up.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would he run again when he can make seven figures as a lobbyist? That's what this BS he's pulling is all about. He's making as many pals in DC on as he can on both sides. It's not about standing up for you and me. It's all about shoving his snout through the door and greasing a path to becoming a lobbyist.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) released the following statement today regarding his vote to begin debate on S. 649:

“I look forward to offering multiple amendments in the coming days, including an amendment to replace the unworkable Manchin-Toomey with a proposal that will protect Americans’ Second Amendment rights while giving law abiding citizens the tool they need to make sure they aren’t transferring a firearm to someone who will be a threat to themselves or others. I also intend to offer or support amendments to protect the Second Amendment rights of veterans and Americans who have concealed carry permits, among other issues. Today’s vote enables me to offer those amendments, and help give the American people the debate they deserve.”

Notice he failed to mention that it will take 60 votes to get any of his amendments to pass. If he wanted to protect the second amendment, why not write a bill and introduce that instead of offering amendments(that are unlikely to meet the 60 vote threshold, anyway) designed to make this bill that seeks to infringe on second amendment rights somehow easier to swallow? This doesn't pass the smell test. I don't buy this making chicken salad out of chickenshit line of propaganda.

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, according to Fox, Mr. Coburn voted to advance the gun control bill hearing today....disapointed!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. Gun Owners of America verified that he did in fact move forward to allow the Bill to Proceed. Looks like we need a TEA party candidate to replace this RINO

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are not wrong. Gun Owners of America verified that he did in fact move forward to allow the Bill to Proceed. Looks like we need a TEA party candidate to replace this RINO

Look, Dr. Tom may be a lot of things, but RINO is not a word I would use. He just occasionally goes into "doctor" mode and tries to "fix" problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom