Coburn sold us out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The very basic part that utterly, and completely, blows my mind is that there is still NO @$#%(*YI@P#$*%)(*ing bill!

What are they debating? Where's the text? What would they be voting on?

It's unreal. We have some titles, and some outline headings, and you're supposed to debate and vote based on that?
There is a bill. Iv'e seen it online somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's nothing "logical" about politics anymore. Just a bunch of pigs feeding from the trough of the people's money, property and liberties to give themselves more whatever....... power, money, position. If I've learned ANYTHING, it's that you can't trust ANY of them, regardless of the letter next to their name. Coburn should be watched with the same critical eye of suspicion as Reid or Feinstein.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and get out my flamethrower. It seems to me it doesn't do any good to froth at the mouth about the Bill of Rights being non-negotiable, when CLEARLY, they are in 2013 to Senate Democrats. This is not a game, it's a culture and political WAR, and we need to start acting like it and strategizing on how to defeat these anti-American ideas.

We shouldn't even be fighting the Germans, they should have known to stay on their side of the Maginot line!

Well we're not France, people. We need passion and ideology, and we also need cold and calculated strategy. Tom Coburn is NOT our enemy, he's part of the "army we go to war with".

We need the Tactical medics, woods lurkers AND the Senior Master Sergeants of the world ALL pointing downrange, which is where the enemy lies.

Now pardon me while I go mix up some woad and paint my face. ;)

Finally some levity in the conversation. ^^^^ :thumb: :thumb:

I posted this on another forum:

Coburn wanted it to be debated to get his gun grabbing Senatorial brethren on public record stating that they want to strip us of yet more of our rights. He's doing this for more than just 2A issues too. Other infringements, regulations and spending. He sees that the country is going into the $hitter and knows that these azz wipes have to go or else the country will.

Remember that he bailed on the UBC deal because he wanted to basically open up the NICS so anyone selling could check out their buyer if they chose to. He wanted it voluntary, no FFL involved, and no records of the check being kept. When Schumer made it clear that it wouldn't go that way Coburn walked. Guys, he's really one of us....

Like I said it's about more than 2A rights. Coburn is just using this as a means to a "bigger end". Because he sees that time is running out and tactics have to change. When it gets this bad sometimes you have to take political risks. He and apparently others feel the same.

L48Shark

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
540738_10151535139554800_1171175667_n.jpg

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the guy. He has integrity, and appears to stand by what he says.

Agreed.

I've known the man since before he was elected to be our Representative. He's a deeply religious man whose "mission in life" is to be a doctor. People who knew and respected him asked him to interrupt his life and run for office. Three terms as a Representative and he went back home. Then people again asked him to run for Senate. He agreed with the stipulation that he would only serve two terms and then he was done.

He's not "lining up a job as a lobbyist." The man never even bought a house in D.C. or moved his family there. He will be finishing up his second term and then moving home to resume his job as an M.D. He's one of those rare M.D.'s in today's medical world. A general family doctor who delivers babies. Not many left. They get sued out of business. He's been good enough and smart enough to hang in there against the tide. Like most people, I have a certain amount of conceit and believe I'm smarter than the average person. I _know_ Tom Coburn really is.

If he actually votes in favor of some bill that takes away my gun rights, I'll step up and change my mind. Until then I'm going to proceed under the assumption that he knows what he is doing. I'm not there. I'm not in the meetings. I don't know the personalities involved. He does... give him a little slack in the rope.

Gregg

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agreed.

I've known the man since before he was elected to be our Representative. He's a deeply religious man whose "mission in life" is to be a doctor. People who knew and respected him asked him to interrupt his life and run for office. Three terms as a Representative and he went back home. Then people again asked him to run for Senate. He agreed with the stipulation that he would only serve two terms and then he was done.

He's not "lining up a job as a lobbyist." The man never even bought a house in D.C. or moved his family there. He will be finishing up his second term and then moving home to resume his job as an M.D. He's one of those rare M.D.'s in today's medical world. A general family doctor who delivers babies. Not many left. They get sued out of business. He's been good enough and smart enough to hang in there against the tide. Like most people, I have a certain amount of conceit and believe I'm smarter than the average person. I _know_ Tom Coburn really is.

If he actually votes in favor of some bill that takes away my gun rights, I'll step up and change my mind. Until then I'm going to proceed under the assumption that he knows what he is doing. I'm not there. I'm not in the meetings. I don't know the personalities involved. He does... give him a little slack in the rope.

Gregg
I'd trust him more if he were a D.O.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see what they are doing. They are playing politics with out rights. They want to regain control of the senate and are willing to shrug off their sworn duty to the constitution in order to do so. They remember 1994 all too well and are trying to use it as a weapon against democrats in the hope the house will bail them out. But I still don't understand some of their tactics. First off they didn't need so many to vote for the bill. Matter of fact, they would have been better served to have as many republicans as possible support the filibuster and force ALL democrats to vote against the filibuster in order to get the bill to the floor. With so many of them voting against the filibuster it gave cover for a couple of democrats. And if those democrats had voted for the filibuster anyway, then it would have been a bipartisan filibuster. So not only are they just playing politics, they are playing poorly.

And from the statements Bohner has made, I think he wants to play the same game in the house. He wants this bill to come up for a vote regardless of what the committees do because he wants to force moderate democrats into voting one way or the other. That might not be a bad idea as the bill could go down in flames with a large bipartisan opposition, but once again they will be playing political chicken with our rights.

Politically this may all work out for republicans. Opposition to gun control is much higher now than in 1994. But then again, it will just give more ammunition to the media which is also much more blatantly biased than they were in 1994. And the fact that this is what politics has come to in this nation is just another indication of the downward spiral we are taking.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off they didn't need so many to vote for the bill. Matter of fact, they would have been better served to have as many republicans as possible support the filibuster and force ALL democrats to vote against the filibuster in order to get the bill to the floor.

There aren't enough democrats to force cloture by themselves. They need 60, I think there's only 55?

Latest posts

Top Bottom