Coburn sold us out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a combat veteran and have worked for the DoD my entire career to date. I am as pro-gun as the next guy and as such my weapons will in fact have to be pried from my cold dead hands. However, I am not so naive to think that we can continue with the way we are going and say everything is just dandy. The ******** being debated with the bans etc have absolutely nothing in them that will cure the problem. That problem is firearms in the hands of the mentally ill and the BAD guys.
I will not support anything that takes away our right to keep and bear arms. I would consider supporting legislation that would either expand or enhance background checks. I am a law abiding citizen and have nothing to hide. There is so much damn technology out there that this should be a non issue. Ex.. How do you know that the guy you sold your lot to at the gun show isn't a thug? You may say it isn't your concern, but if you sold it to him then you're contributing to the "problem" right?
I think there are many ways to help with the problem that doesn't have to infringe on our rights. We as the law abiding, should be willing to help come up with viable solutions instead of saying it isn't debatable. If we keep up with that line, it is in my opinion it will be a never ending cycle, until we do lose our rights.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/16-republicans-vote-to-move-forward-on-gun-control/#axzz2QMa5pc3S
16 Republicans Vote To Move Forward on Gun Control
Published on Friday, April 12, 2013

1. "Perhaps the greatest danger is an insider-cooked “grand deal” that will include some token pro-gun “sweetener” - a minor protection or fake step forward on gun rights to make it easier for supposedly“pro-gun” Democrats and weak-kneed Republicans to sell to their constituents - wrapped around BIG gun control changes."

2. "Another (bad) idea is a national concealed-carry reciprocity law, handing our federal government control over state concealed-carry laws."

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a combat veteran and have worked for the DoD my entire career to date. I am as pro-gun as the next guy and as such my weapons will in fact have to be pried from my cold dead hands. However, I am not so naive to think that we can continue with the way we are going and say everything is just dandy. The ******** being debated with the bans etc have absolutely nothing in them that will cure the problem. That problem is firearms in the hands of the mentally ill and the BAD guys.
I will not support anything that takes away our right to keep and bear arms. I would consider supporting legislation that would either expand or enhance background checks. I am a law abiding citizen and have nothing to hide. There is so much damn technology out there that this should be a non issue. Ex.. How do you know that the guy you sold your lot to at the gun show isn't a thug? You may say it isn't your concern, but if you sold it to him then you're contributing to the "problem" right?
I think there are many ways to help with the problem that doesn't have to infringe on our rights. We as the law abiding, should be willing to help come up with viable solutions instead of saying it isn't debatable. If we keep up with that line, it is in my opinion it will be a never ending cycle, until we do lose our rights.

It seems you are a realist so let's consider the thoughts of a couple of other realists that wrote the Constitution:

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin.

Your desire for security from the application of more government flies in the face of the wisdom of the men quoted above. How do you propose to satisfy this conundrum? Why would you put free men in the position of proving their innocence through more intense background checks or compromise their privacy through submission of further information to the government? How would additional background checks address the most recent tragic events in CT, CO, and AZ?

WhiskeyPapa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems you are a realist so let's consider the thoughts of a couple of other realists that wrote the Constitution:

Your desire for security from the application of more government flies in the face of the wisdom of the men quoted above. How do you propose to satisfy this conundrum? Why would you put free men in the position of proving their innocence through more intense background checks or compromise their privacy through submission of further information to the government? How would additional background checks address the most recent tragic events in CT, CO, and AZ?

I didn't say I wanted more Government, the base system is already in place, but there could be access beyond the FFL. What privacy is being compromised? Everything that is in background checks is readily available to any government agency. Any true privacy was lost post 9/11. The world has changed so very drastically since our constitution was written and what I wouldnt give to have lived back then. Oh how life must have been simpler, right?
Better checks may or may not have not have stopped those events, but those events are only those that the President and media have sensationalized in order to try and grab our firearms. What about the thousands of others across the nation every year? Do I believe that if one could use their smartphone to run a background on someone at a gunshow or a FTF sale that could prevent some of it? Then the answer is absolutely! Biometrics...approve or denied. simple as that..I don't need to know a reason nor does anyone else. My fingerprints are on file with so many agencies and everything to do with my history. So are many of yours by now. Aren't they taking prints at the DMV now when you get a driver's license? I know they do when you get your SDA, which personally I believe i can trust anyone with a SDA license that is current.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say I wanted more Government, the base system is already in place, but there could be access beyond the FFL. What privacy is being compromised? The privacy to conduct personal business without involving the government seems the obvious answer. Everything that is in background checks is readily available to any government agency. Any true privacy was lost post 9/11. Can't disagree there but why give up the resistance? The world has changed so very drastically since our constitution was written and what I wouldnt give to have lived back then. Oh how life must have been simpler, right? Correct, so let's try to restore our Constitutional principles.
Better checks may or may not have not have stopped those events, but those events are only those that the President and media have sensationalized in order to try and grab our firearms. What about the thousands of others across the nation every year? Really??? Do you have some data or story links that you could use to illustrate this? Do I believe that if one could use their smartphone to run a background on someone at a gunshow or a FTF sale that could prevent some of it? Then the answer is absolutely! Biometrics...approve or denied. simple as that..I don't need to know a reason nor does anyone else. My fingerprints are on file with so many agencies and everything to do with my history. So are many of yours by now. Aren't they taking prints at the DMV now when you get a driver's license? It's been a while since I last renewed but I don't have that recollection. I know they do when you get your SDA, which personally I believe i can trust anyone with a SDA license that is current.

Primary responses above in Green.

Additional comments: I guess my main thesis is that your position seems to acknowledge as valid those who would, in their perfect world, eliminate the 2d Amendment entirely. I just reject that premise and say there needs to be some pushback or we are going to be nibbled to death by these ducks that are frightened of true liberty.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primary responses above in Green.

I ... say there needs to be some pushback or we are going to be nibbled to death by these ducks that are frightened of true liberty.

Big Brother wants more control - no extra large sodas, no second-hand smoke, no firearms without a background check. That is just the beginning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom