Coburn sold us out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part that I will agree with is that I do wish there was a readily available way to check a private citizen for a face to face. Whether at a gun show or whatever. I understand the fear that such checks will somehow start to make a list of who owns what. That's why I agree that such a check should basically just be a yes or not. Allowed to buy guns or prohibited. Sure, there would be lots of issues. They would have to be worked out over time. I personally have never sold a gun "face to face without a check" and my inability to utilize some type of instant check is part of the reason. The smart phone thing sounds interesting. Scan the bar code on the guy's drivers license and get back a yes or no in 30 seconds. No data on the type of gun being sold or even who is doing the selling. Just a way that I can ensure I'm not selling to a prohibited person.

And yeah, I can see how such a thing basically has to be voluntary just because otherwise how do they enforce it? If the anti's would engage their brains, they would see that even such a voluntary thing would fulfill many of their background check goals. Because the average concerned citizen would realize that doing such a quick check helps to protect them against being prosecuted or sued in some fashion "down the road." If it was quick and easy and didn't track sales, a lot of people would start using it. I use the ATF FFL quick check whenever I'm shipping a gun. It costs me nothing to check and I'm not worried that somehow I'm creating a list of guns that I'm selling.

I absolutely understand the skeptics of such a plan. If it was introduced tomorrow, I would be skeptical myself. Most of us lean libertarian and we are automatically suspicious that any such plan would somehow be modified or abused over time. But IMO... that would be the time to battle, not over whether or not simple voluntary checks could be implemented.

I see this problem right here in rural Craig County. Mental health budgets got cut WAY back over the last couple of decades. Mental hospitals had no recourse except to release many of the long term patients. They wander the streets in small towns. And people with mental problems that should be admitted and treated are just given some drugs and pushed back out the door. I have to agree that it is a good idea to ensure these people don't end up with a gun in their hands.

Gregg

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand all the complaining.
2 weeks ago when the senate was on break Reid and Feinstein claimed they were going to cram their gun bill thru the week they got back from break with a yea/nea voice vote only.
Just like they did Obamacare with nobody reading or understanding it.
All Colburn and the others did was slow it down and force debates giving people time to find out whats really in it.
They are also going to try and force a recorded vote so everybody knows how they voted.

I wouldn't call that selling out I would call that reasonable.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
The part that I will agree with is that I do wish there was a readily available way to check a private citizen for a face to face. Whether at a gun show or whatever. I understand the fear that such checks will somehow start to make a list of who owns what. That's why I agree that such a check should basically just be a yes or not. Allowed to buy guns or prohibited. Sure, there would be lots of issues. They would have to be worked out over time. I personally have never sold a gun "face to face without a check" and my inability to utilize some type of instant check is part of the reason. The smart phone thing sounds interesting. Scan the bar code on the guy's drivers license and get back a yes or no in 30 seconds. No data on the type of gun being sold or even who is doing the selling. Just a way that I can ensure I'm not selling to a prohibited person.

And yeah, I can see how such a thing basically has to be voluntary just because otherwise how do they enforce it? If the anti's would engage their brains, they would see that even such a voluntary thing would fulfill many of their background check goals. Because the average concerned citizen would realize that doing such a quick check helps to protect them against being prosecuted or sued in some fashion "down the road." If it was quick and easy and didn't track sales, a lot of people would start using it. I use the ATF FFL quick check whenever I'm shipping a gun. It costs me nothing to check and I'm not worried that somehow I'm creating a list of guns that I'm selling.

I absolutely understand the skeptics of such a plan. If it was introduced tomorrow, I would be skeptical myself. Most of us lean libertarian and we are automatically suspicious that any such plan would somehow be modified or abused over time. But IMO... that would be the time to battle, not over whether or not simple voluntary checks could be implemented.

I see this problem right here in rural Craig County. Mental health budgets got cut WAY back over the last couple of decades. Mental hospitals had no recourse except to release many of the long term patients. They wander the streets in small towns. And people with mental problems that should be admitted and treated are just given some drugs and pushed back out the door. I have to agree that it is a good idea to ensure these people don't end up with a gun in their hands.

Gregg

Problem is, that is not what is being proposed.

stromtomb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how many of the members here are religious, but I do recall that these first 10 amendments were the bill of rights, endowed by our Creator. These are not rights that any government may take away-no matter how many votes they get. If they attempt it, then they are violating natural law. Any patriotic American should be able to see that this sort of action by the government would be illegal, which would make the government illegitimate.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know how many of the members here are religious, but I do recall that these first 10 amendments were the bill of rights, endowed by our Creator. These are not rights that any government may take away-no matter how many votes they get. If they attempt it, then they are violating natural law. Any patriotic American should be able to see that this sort of action by the government would be illegal, which would make the government illegitimate.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are the rights that are endowed by our Creator and are the natural human rights of all people. The rights listed in the Bill of Rights are our inherited rights as Americans.

But I agree with everything you say about the first 10 being sacred to Americans

Last edited:

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coburn pulled a classic Peanuts move by acting like he was balancing the football and then pulled it out of the way right when ole' Charlie (up-chuck schumer) thought that he was gonna kick a field goal, lol. Got to love biden's facepalm when obummer was giving his hate filled rant this afternoon.

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about what we all have done to Coburn's good name calling him a sell-out? That old man works hard for us and he does not need to be doing it.

Dems being forced to Up/Down on gun related bills are going to cost them votes in 2016. Clinton was right when he urged not to push this, Obama is wrong to keep pushing it publicly this way and it can only help future elections.

By holding an open vote, we have logged votes to use going forward. I think Dr. Tom was right about that. If we would have squashed debate, and killed this quietly - we would have one less arrow in the quiver for 2016.

Latest posts

Top Bottom