Coburn sold us out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about what we all have done to Coburn's good name calling him a sell-out? That old man works hard for us and he does not need to be doing it.

Dems being forced to Up/Down on gun related bills are going to cost them votes in 2016. Clinton was right when he urged not to push this, Obama is wrong to keep pushing it publicly this way and it can only help future elections.

By holding an open vote, we have logged votes to use going forward. I think Dr. Tom was right about that. If we would have squashed debate, and killed this quietly - we would have one less arrow in the quiver for 2016.

If the vote had gone against us and PASSED, what then? I don't know about you, but my rights are too precious to be left to a body of bureaucratic nincompoops to be toyed with. I think Coburn took a GREAT risk doing what he did politically but more importantly, he risked our liberties as well AFTER he was informed of how most Oklahomans felt about it. The man is a politician, first and foremost, a servant to the people he's to represent. Right or wrong, he failed in representing us by putting our rights at risk. I don't think he's a traitor and I'm not going to drag his "good name" through the mud but I'm certainly not naive enough to think he should be proposed for sainthood.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the vote had gone against us and PASSED, what then? I don't know about you, but my rights are too precious to be left to a body of bureaucratic nincompoops to be toyed with. I think Coburn took a GREAT risk doing what he did politically but more importantly, he risked our liberties as well AFTER he was informed of how most Oklahomans felt about it. The man is a politician, first and foremost, a servant to the people he's to represent. Right or wrong, he failed in representing us by putting our rights at risk. I don't think he's a traitor and I'm not going to drag his "good name" through the mud but I'm certainly not naive enough to think he should be proposed for sainthood.
This...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And even more important a servant to the people of Oklahoma, not the entire U.S. Represent your local folks. Pretty obvious how people in this state feel.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anybody who'd been paying attention knew that steaming pile of crap wasn't going to pass the Senate, and it sure as hell wasn't going anywhere in the House. Do you really think Coburn didn't know the score before he voted to allow debate?

so it's okay for our representatives to vote for something that his constituents are against as long as he's pretty sure it won't pass?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so it's okay for our representatives to vote for something that his constituents are against as long as he's pretty sure it won't pass?
When did he vote for legislation or a resolution that his constituents oppose? He voted to allow debate on a bill that was not going to pass; he did not vote for the bill itself.

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone knows Coburn did not vote for the bills passage - they are upset that he voted to move a debate forward. I don't feel a great need to defend Dr. Tom since the facts themselves are crying out in his behalf.

There is real value is those BDDs (Blue Dog Dems) voting and debating this bill. Coburn helped make that happen. The ones who voted to protect liberty are going to have to answer to the Nanny-in-Chief for it - causing unrest in the democratic party (the kind of unrest some here are starting by trash talking a good but imperfect man who is giving up grandkid time to represent OK) The ones who voted against liberty are going to have to answer to the "God and gun loving" folks back home.

Maybe I am the only one, but I really like open, recorded votes on things that matter. Bills dying in dark alleys let Blue Dogs tell TWO stories depending on what room they are in. But when you vote - you leave a mark. Coburn's vote helped make that vote possible and, yes, it could have gone the other way - but that would have cost Dems seats - there are a lot of shooters, hunters and liberty lovers in blue states. A staggering amount when you get outside city limits in the SE.

We can do the 'maybe and what-if' thing all day long on this bill - but why?.

Also, I can accuse some of you of beating your poor, elderly hound dog and then claim that you only quit because I pressured you into it. But I don't do that because it would be ungentlemanly, and a low character assassination from the margins.

jonodeck

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
"so much for coburn being a sell out"

I couldn't disagree with you more. It doesn't matter whether it would pass or not, it was a waste of time and energy for a proposal that infringed on my 2nd Amendment Rights.

I watched the proceedings off and on during the day. We have a TV set to CSPAN-2 muted with closed caption. It was a steaming pile of ****. If I had to watch another Democratic Senator put a poster board on a stand with pictures of the little children who were victims of this mad man I think I might slit my wrists.

The average Senator makes $174,000.00 per year not including benefits (which are substantial), or "contributions". That's base salary of about $100/hour based on 1,736 working hours per year (1,736 takes into account federal holidays). Let's say there where 100 of those rascals at 8 hours. That's $80,000 for the day's accomplishment which was nada. The average income per household in 2012 was $45,018.00 per year and I'm willing to bet a trip to the range it ain't increased this year.

Check this out if you want to weep! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Median_US_household_income.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

Why are these rascals wasting time on guns? Why are these rascals wasting time on immigration? In the words of one of the biggest Presidential Rascals ever to occupy the White House, "It's the economy Stupid"

So yes, Coburn sold out to the Washington Establishment and ignored the folks that sent him there. He wasted a boatload of our money for no good purpose.

He doesn't represent me or my interests, he's a Washington man.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having spent a couple of tours in DC, I was pretty sure I knew what our Senator Coburn was trying, and he was never going to vote for the bill.

I can just imagine the discussion now, "Well, you wanted a vote and I helped you get it. It lost. Now how about a serious straight up vote on some budget reductions?" Hmmm?

The shortest route to success in the morass of Washington politics is seldom a straight line, and simplistic rhetoric won't get you there!

Latest posts

Top Bottom