Colt Viper 357

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgot to mention it, but the front sight on the new Viper is real easy to change, if you want to. That said, I'll leave the original sight on mine, at least for the time being.
It certainly less likely to give you a fatal wedgie on the draw or rip clothes or snatch gun nearly out of hand. Ramps ain't perfect, but....

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the brass bead front sight on the King Cobra
The grips and brass bead front sight are only on the TALO exclusives. So, in essence you’re really just getting rid of that horrid Hogue boot and getting a brass bead. Gingerbread. I don’t think anything else is done to them, certainly not from a shooting perspective. I’m shooting .38 +P in both.

It’s the same way on the Cobra TALO exclusive….

LogoLicious_2024.07.25-18.17.20.jpeg

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The grips and brass bead front sight are only on the TALO exclusives. So, in essence you’re really just getting rid of that horrid Hogue boot and getting a brass bead. Gingerbread. I don’t think anything else is done to them, certainly not from a shooting perspective. I’m shooting .38 +P in both.

It’s the same way on the Cobra TALO exclusive….

View attachment 517166
Thanks again for the details, and also thanks for the great shots showing the true-to-life metal finish, where most photos give no clue as to actual finish. This thread is really torquing my interest in the Viper.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 3” King Cobra has a brass bead front sight. Test they can be changed but getting them from brownells is futile. Remember to loctight the sight screw or you will be looking for your front sight like I did.

As to the grips I put VZ on mine, much better than the Hogue rubber. Saying that I would love a set of solid wood grips like the ones on a Python. From my understanding the snake revolvers in .38 spcl/.357 mag should all be the same frame since Colt wanted ease of manufacture any streamlined assembly lines.

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Viper at the local Gun store to check it out. I did not have the extra cash or would have snagged it in a 4.25 in barrel, SS frame. It felt pretty awesome. Lighter than my Python 4.25 a hair smaller, looked like a great carry piece.
One thing I noticed is on the grip purchase my middle finger felt uncomfortable against the trigger guard, between the grip and guard. You could make a grip change and solve that problem, I would think. I am pretty sure it would make your middle finger sore if you shot it a lot with P+38's.

Side note, I personally like Hogue Rubber Grips on all pistols that I have Hogue's on. For the price point I think they are one of the best most reasonably priced grip out there. There looks not so much. For grip especially one handed shooting, they work pretty good.

Back to the Viper it looked pretty sweet. Of course I like Old School Revolvers, Smith's or Colts.
I do not like the Smiths with the lock, only the pre lock Smiths, Not much on there so called Performance stuff either.

Colt is doing a fine job on there Revolver offerings in my Opinion, pricey but well made.

I bet you will enjoy your purchase, I would be interested in how you find its shoot ability and accuracy.

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Side note, I personally like Hogue Rubber Grips on all pistols that I have Hogue's on. For the price point I think they are one of the best most reasonably priced grip out there. There looks not so much. For grip especially one handed shooting, they work pretty good.
I have no problem with Hogue boots except they are bulky. Are they comfortable? You bet. Indeed they are cheap when compared to their rosewood or walnut counterparts.

I even replaced to Hogue boot on my Anaconda….comfort be damned. I only shoot .44 Spl in it anyway.

LogoLicious_2024.07.21-10.36.21.jpeg

Rampant Colt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Saying that I would love a set of solid wood grips like the ones on a Python. From my understanding the snake revolvers in .38 spcl/.357 mag should all be the same frame since Colt wanted ease of manufacture any streamlined assembly lines.

So much to choose from….and such a wide spread in pricing. I personally like Altamont grips. The page you’re looking for can be found here.

My Python is a Davidson’s exclusive and I would not be surprised if its grips aren’t Altamont rosewoods with the Rampant Colt medallions.

LogoLicious_2024.07.25-18.15.58.jpeg

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 3” King Cobra has a brass bead front sight. Test they can be changed but getting them from brownells is futile. Remember to loctight the sight screw or you will be looking for your front sight like I did.

As to the grips I put VZ on mine, much better than the Hogue rubber. Saying that I would love a set of solid wood grips like the ones on a Python. From my understanding the snake revolvers in .38 spcl/.357 mag should all be the same frame since Colt wanted ease of manufacture any streamlined assembly lines.
The Cobra, KC and the Viper are the same frame size, but isn't the Python somewhat larger?

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for grips, comfort and proper fit to hand vary as much as hands. Most DA revolver grips/stocks do not work for me, especially Hogue and Altamont efforts, and can tell by looking that none of the Colt supplied will work as too fat up high. I am partial to the open back Pachmayer Gripper Professional as for available factory offerings (for the new Colts I need to check if made), while what I would like and they don't make is the Eagle Secret Service grips but with extra length on bottom for full four finger grip. Grips will make or break me getting a Viper. All the good gripmakers I knew such as Fishpaw, Deason, etc are gone. Many available today can work ok for SA fire with lighter loads, but with full house DA loads are torture devices for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom