Communications for shtf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have/used a "Rapid" radio? Supposed to have a log distance ability...Like a few states over.
Rapid Radio is a Kewl concept, however they need to set up the groups and they are reliant on cell towers. Because they ping all and any tower, you can get a signal out. I thought they may be good for SHTF, but if all towers down, they won't work unless close. That is what I have been able to gather about Rapid Radio's from youtubers. bought GMRS radios, then a Baufeng (wish I bough the HAM/GMRS version,) then a Cobra handheld 5 watt CB, and finally a handheld scanner (receive only on that, a Uniden SDS100.) Listen to the SDS100 pretty much everyday. CB is also fun while scanning the channels, I live close enough to the Turnpike to hear quite a bit. Getting HAM license, but that project has been delayed.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hamexam.org is where I practiced. They offer a free download “No-Nonsense Technician’s Study Guide” and free practice exams through Extra. The nice thing is the practice exams will show the study guide reference covering the questions. I passed both my tech and general in one test session. Most clubs administering the test may want a test fee, some do not. Some even offer a free basic radio when you pass. Those that ask a fee usually use it to support repeater operation.

BlindOne

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hamexam.org is where I practiced. They offer a free download “No-Nonsense Technician’s Study Guide” and free practice exams through Extra. The nice thing is the practice exams will show the study guide reference covering the questions. I passed both my tech and general in one test session. Most clubs administering the test may want a test fee, some do not. Some even offer a free basic radio when you pass. Those that ask a fee usually use it to support repeater operation.
Thanks for the info

jerry lochner

New to the site!
Reaction score
Did my GMRS license just now. Now to get radio and receive my license. Used you guys link to get radio on Amazon. This will be a learning process. I’ll be reaching out to you guys for help. New adventure awaits.

Here’s the license process I followed:

https://radiothoughts.com/how-to-get-gmrs-license/
Keep in mind that if a tornado takes out the cell phones it will probably take out local ham and gmrs repeaters also. Ham repeaters are usually up on tall towers or buildings, some with power back up, Ideally have access to both, as a ham operator I'm just now looking into gmrs. For the cost the Boefeng can't be beat, I bought two so if the family needs to separate to survey the neighborhood we can keep in touch.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom