Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was worried about that. However, I was rather surprised at how smooth it came out.

2 lbs Velveeta cubed
8oz pepper jack cubed
1 lb ground beef browned & drained
1 can fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid
1 can cream of mushroom soup + water
1 jalapeño diced
1 small onion diced
1 tbs black pepper
2 tbs minced garlic
3 tbs KosmosQ hot dirty bird rub

Throw it all in a foil pan.

Smoked at 250F with Oak for 2 hours stirring every 30min.

Came out great. Next time it’ll be hotter.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

I make something similar to this except I use breakfast sausage crumbled up instead of beef and I use a salsa instead of the onion, tomatoes, etc., plus spices to taste including ground cayenne pepper and chopped pickled jalapenos for heat. I also add a large can or two small cans of chopped green chilies.

Oh, and no cream of mushroom soup in mine. Maybe topped with some sour cream instead.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can find his stuff at Ace hardware as well!!

Thanks! I've got an Ace about two miles away. Checking the website it didn't mention Ace, but it did indicate that a family-owned drug store about three miles from me carries it. I'm gonna' have to go look and give it a try anyway!

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rice is cheap and beef has spiked. Probably trying to reduce food cost losses?
I'm sure you're right, especially after being closed up for a couple months for this virus thing.

Better not be any rice in my burrito either. Thanks for the heads up and let us know the outcome of the meeting.

I'll keep you posted.
I just hope nobody wasted their time and money on a crappy meal, especially since I recommended the place.
Pisses me off.
Well, it went pretty much as I expected.

I spoke with the owner’s son, so my next burrito is going to be a good one and will of course, be a freebie. It almost sounded like if anyone was to specify “no rice” you could get one that way if they wanted. We’ll have to see with that.

So If anyone goes there and orders a burrito and specifies “no rice” and they give you any static, just walk.

I mentioned that I had given their restaurant a good review on this web site, but after that last order, I retracted my referral, and explained to him why, and that many others also stated that $9 for a “rice filled burrito” was just ridiculous, and would never fly in this area.

So, as I said we’ll have to see. Tell ‘em what you will, or will not pay for in a burrito, and go from there I guess, or just go elsewhere.

It’s been years since I’ve gone to Taco Stop, on Grand, but I’ll try them out again one of these days. They’re just not open on weekends.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure you're right, especially after being closed up for a couple months for this virus thing.

Well, it went pretty much as I expected.

I spoke with the owner’s son, so my next burrito is going to be a good one and will of course, be a freebie. It almost sounded like if anyone was to specify “no rice” you could get one that way if they wanted. We’ll have to see with that.

So If anyone goes there and orders a burrito and specifies “no rice” and they give you any static, just walk.

I mentioned that I had given their restaurant a good review on this web site, but after that last order, I retracted my referral, and explained to him why, and that many others also stated that $9 for a “rice filled burrito” was just ridiculous, and would never fly in this area.

So, as I said we’ll have to see. Tell ‘em what you will, or will not pay for in a burrito, and go from there I guess, or just go elsewhere.

It’s been years since I’ve gone to Taco Stop, on Grand, but I’ll try them out again one of these days. They’re just not open on weekends.
Taco stop is still good to go the last time we went in there. A big plus is that they will take plastic now vs cash only in the past.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jalapeno Grill in Ponca City.

Hate to have to do this, but I need to withdraw my recommendation to this restaurant.
We just ate there again tonight, and .... never again.
Apologies to anyone that wasted a trip to the place.

Better not be any rice in my burrito either. Thanks for the heads up and let us know the outcome of the meeting.

r

Enriques it shall remain. Thanks for the follow up, though, I really like mexican rice. I'd probably be kosher on it.

Gunanddoglover

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys like to smoke?
Picked up a pork butt a couple days ago and decided to put it on the grill and smoke it. First I soaked it overnight in beer then I applied a mustard-based marinade on it and stuck it in the fridge for the second night. I use yellow mustard, granulated garlic, onion, sea salt, black pepper, and some Cajun seasoning, and a little brown sugar. To thin it out and make it spreadable I added some olive oil and apple cider vinegar. I'm using a Weber rotisserie and miscellaneous leftover wood from previous smoking. I keep the temperature between 250-300 and away we go. I put it on around 9:30 this morning.
2020-07-23 09.56.30.jpg
2020-07-23 10.46.00.jpg

About 15 minutes ago I added more wood and spread more of the marinade over the butt. Internal temp was 140, at 160 I'll warp it in foil and cook until (edit)195. Let it stand about 20 minutes then time to eat.

2020-07-23 13.15.08(2).jpg
2020-07-23 13.17.28.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom