Cougar Killed in Cimmaron County

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don"t know... that warden looks to be enjoying himself way too much to justify what actions he may, or may not, have taken. that picture, to me, is like a cop in riot gear posing for a picture, big grin on his face, with his foot propped up on a guys crumpled up body that he just beat the **** out of. it may have been justified, but you shouldn't enjoy it.

How would what he's doing be any different than cops posing with a pile of drugs they just seized. If it was taken in OK illegally and he helped with the bust then job well done and he has the right to be proud.

Either way there seems to be a lack of info on the story. I did find where a game warden had killed a nuisance cougar in Cimarron County at the request of a rancher.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MOUNTAIN LION

License Requirements

Residents & Nonresidents: A hunting license or proof of exemption.

Dates & Open Areas

Mountain lions can be taken year-round when committing or about to commit depredation or when deemed a nuisance, safety or health hazard.

You must immediately call a game warden or other Department employee if you kill a mountain lion.

The carcass (including hide) will be examined by a Department employee within 24 hours for biological data collection, which may include the removal of a tooth.

You do not need to get permission from a GW prior to taking a mountain lion.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct Dennis. I think this deal was some Colorado Houndsmen killed it in OK and then gave it to an OK resident to try to get it approved by the GW afterward and they got found out.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new turkey ground I have to hunt and a deer hunter claim that he saw one along the river last season. I had look at the reg. and saw the part about safety and thought about calling to get ODWC opinion. I was just thinking I have read a lot of stories of turkey hunters out west having them slip in on them. In my opinion if a mount lion is with in 50 yards it is a threat to my safety and should be a legal harvest. Although twocan is right its a fake there are not any mount lions or bears in Oklahoma Oh wait we just had a bear season silly me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been confirmed mountain lions in Ok.
Just a few years ago a train killed one in Noble county.
The Witchita mountains has a breeding colony according to the Daily Oklahoman. We have that article posted on our bulletin board at work.
Very few confirmed sightings/kills.
I recently saw a baby black panther dead on the side of the road though. Probably weighed about 2 lbs. Started to pick it up and post a pic, but nobody would believe me. Looked just like a black cat, but I'm confident it was a baby black panther.

Latest posts

Top Bottom