Cougar Killed in Cimmaron County

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to a friend of mine who is a outfitter in CO.and knows the hounds men from CO..the cat was killing livestock in OK the rancher asked them if they could run the cat,they did the rancher shot it.The rancher's wife called around trying to find a taxidermist that would mount it-word spread ,OK warden found out.took the cat ,fined the CO. guys w/ court date pending.The cat weighed around 195 pounds BIG CAT

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been confirmed mountain lions in Ok.
Just a few years ago a train killed one in Noble county.
The Witchita mountains has a breeding colony according to the Daily Oklahoman. We have that article posted on our bulletin board at work.
Very few confirmed sightings/kills.
I recently saw a baby black panther dead on the side of the road though. Probably weighed about 2 lbs. Started to pick it up and post a pic, but nobody would believe me. Looked just like a black cat, but I'm confident it was a baby black panther.

LOL LOL

Danielkines77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was in anadarko hunting, during deer rifle, and i SWEAR i heard a LOUD something! I cant describe it, sounded like a baby/monster! i definitely peed a little.. skeptics or not... I KNOW what i heard!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had dinner with the game warden tonight and he said it was 175 lbs and is a Boone and Crockett lion. He said the CO houndsmen asked the OK warden if they could run it because the rancher had seen it. The warden told them they could not run it. They ran it anyway and killed it and gave it to the rancher after killing it. He says it was not a depredation issue. I'm sure more info will come out as the case progresses.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had dinner with the game warden tonight and he said it was 175 lbs and is a Boone and Crockett lion. He said the CO houndsmen asked the OK warden if they could run it because the rancher had seen it. The warden told them they could not run it. They ran it anyway and killed it and gave it to the rancher after killing it. He says it was not a depredation issue. I'm sure more info will come out as the case progresses.

Yes, you can't just blast them on sight. They have to meet the qualifications stated in the ODW regs.

Mountain lions can be taken year-round when committing or about to commit depredation or when deemed a nuisance, safety or health hazard.

That didn't meet those regs unless the rancher can show where livestock have been taken or harrased, or his family has been endangered.

Somebody has a lot of talking to do.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh for crying out freakin' loud.

God forbid a game warden enjoy his job, and smile in a picture of a case he just wrapped up.

Maybe you should send your resume to the ODWC? You could train all the wardens how to hate their jobs and never smile. Might be hard, since most of them take the job because they enjoy it. I'm sure you can handle it though, your bitterness is bound to rub off on them.

Eeeaaasssyyy there. I'm really not bitter, pessimistic, or hard to get along with. Maybe I don't project myself very will in type.
I'm just saying he looks pretty thrilled to be holding an illegal animal. He could have expressed the size just as well on on a tailgate, on a bale of hay, with a rifle laying beside it or whatever. I personally wouldn't want to be in the picture at all, I don't think many ordinary people would either.

nicegroup

Marksman
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom