dedicated pistol light or hand held flashlight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer handheld becuase I live in a household with 2 kids and my wife. If I hear a bump or bang I don't want to risk pointing the gun at someone I love so I can see who it is by using the weapon mounted light, that is the only disadvantage I could see to having one. Other than that seems like it would work really well having both hands free.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did any of you ever think about the possibility of more than one perpetrator? Blind one, become a target for the second. Think people. There's a reason most patrol officers don't have weapon mounted lights.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did any of you ever think about the possibility of more than one perpetrator? Blind one, become a target for the second. Think people. There's a reason most patrol officers don't have weapon mounted lights.

Yeah.... "hey excuse me Mr. Badguy, let me put down my flashlight down real quick so I can use my hand to fight you and your buddy off."

Also, I'd prefer too hands on my weapon if possible, should I have to shoot inside my house.

Patrol officers are in several situations where they don't have their weapon presented so that makes sense. However, what happens when you have trained SWAT/HRT present. What do they use? Why?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah.... "hey excuse me Mr. Badguy, let me put down my flashlight down real quick so I can use my hand to fight you and your buddy off."

Also, I'd prefer too hands on my weapon if possible, should I have to shoot inside my house.

Patrol officers are in several situations where they don't have their weapon presented so that makes sense. However, what happens when you have trained SWAT/HRT present. What do they use? Why?

99% of the time it is up to the individual officer as to what they want to use.

Since most of this is speculation on what LEO's use, I'll offer some real-world points.

I like the idea of having a hand held because when walking through a house, I can have my gun pointed one way, and my flashlight another. I like the fact that I can hold a hand held at arms length away from my center of mass because the general school of thought is that a shooter will shoot towards the light. I also like that a hand held can be rolled into a room and is often bright enough that the light bounces off the walls and ceiling and essentially lights up the whole room.

On the other hand, a rail mounted light allows you to have an open hand, which, when walking through a house, is handy so you can open doors, latch a partner... whatever.

Both are handy, and both serve their purpose.

I realize this isn't an issue for most people here, but one thing to think about as an LEO is that you can't cuff somebody with a pistol in your hand... aside from being almost impossible, it's not even safe to try. On the other hand, a handheld (such as a Mag) can be tucked under your arm, leaving both hands free to cuff a suspect, just like writing a ticket with a light under you arm.

This is, of course, a discussion that can go on forever, but my personal preference is actually both. I kept an M-2 mounted on my P220, and had a 2d Mag light I carried on my hip (couldn't afford a Stinger).

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A good flashlight can also be a useful weapon in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. And I'm not talking about a 14 battery D Cell maglite either.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah.... However, what happens when you have trained SWAT/HRT present. What do they use? Why?

Bad comparason,you don't think you,Mr. Homeowner hearing bump in the night,are the same as a swat trained officer responding to a call? Besides,when they show up,it's already known that there is a bad guy there and they are READY to deal with it.I have both but far prefer a handheld.I don't necessarily want to point my gun at everything I'm trying to identify in the dark.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The spill of a weapon mounted light is more than sufficient to ID threats/non threats without pointing the muzzle at the target.
That's one argument shot down.

Also, I've never heard from one officer who didn't like or won't use one. The real arguement is the cost of a new holster, light, and the time required to retrain with one.
And whether or not they're authorized to do so.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The spill of a weapon mounted light is more than sufficient to ID threats/non threats without pointing the muzzle at the target.

Also, I've never heard from one officer who didn't like or won't use one. The real arguement is the cost of a new holster, light, and the time required to retrain with one.

I didn't say I didn't like them, or won't use them... in fact, I said the opposite...

each have their advantages.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

looking back... I guess you weren't talking to me.... :)
:bolt:

Latest posts

Top Bottom