dedicated pistol light or hand held flashlight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bad comparason,you don't think you,Mr. Homeowner hearing bump in the night,are the same as a swat trained officer responding to a call? Besides,when they show up,it's already known that there is a bad guy there and they are READY to deal with it.I have both but far prefer a handheld.I don't necessarily want to point my gun at everything I'm trying to identify in the dark.

I think it's an excellent comparison, as those whom are properly trained use that method, probably because it makes more sense than point shooting.

The spill of a weapon mounted light is more than sufficient to ID threats/non threats without pointing the muzzle at the target.
That's one argument shot down.

This.

A good flashlight can also be a useful weapon in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. And I'm not talking about a 14 battery D Cell maglite either.

I'm just curious as to if you've ever tried this IRL. Seems you'd have no leverage with a light in one hand and a firearm in the other. Maybe someone that teaches FOF situations like Mike Brown will comment.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All good points about the handheld, but this light is on a home defense weapon. I know the layout of my home pretty well and surely I can get around better than the perp breaking in, who has never been inside. The cops can cuff him not me.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good points about the handheld, but this light is on a home defense weapon. I know the layout of my home pretty well and surely I can get around better than the perp breaking in, who has never been inside. The cops can cuff him not me.

Who said they've never been there?? :)

No I wasn't stan
:)

Okay, just makin' sure mike. :thumbup3:
:laugh6:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huge bull
I train and shoot with a weapon mounted light as well as hand held lights. I can do much more, much faster with a weaponlight than with a handheld.

This. FWIW, I use both. They each have advantages, and who ever said you couldn't use a handheld just because you have one mounted on your pistol? In the event one burns out, dies or gets damaged you always have a spare. :)

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

He's an Officer.

I do differ though in the belief that the light can be used as a target... and if you've done much shooting on a line with a lot of people in intense training, you'll notice many people have a tendency to shoot the gun on the target because people tend to focus on the threat of the gun. I figure the same would apply in this situation.

The way we were trained from the academy was a handheld light and for the reasons I listed earlier in this thread. Out of the 130 Officers, I knew of maybe 3 that wore a weapon light all the time, maybe another 10 that carried the weapon light on their belt, and the rest (whether working days or nights) kept them either in the console, fairly handy, or in the trunk. Having said that though... the Department armorer was very much an old-school bear, and I have no doubt that was a primary reason that most carried Stingers (and why we were all issued 3d rechargeable mag lights that were $100 instead of spending $100 on a rechargeable Stinger which is smaller and more convenient).

But again, like I said... I prefer to have both at hand.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe you haven't admonished Spooln-Rex for covering you with his muzzle! :)

And exactly how am i covering him with my muzzle buddy???!!!:boxing3::drink:

And you know it wasnt until after me and a buddy of mine attended a low light course at USSA that he quit giving me crap for carrying a light all the time whether it was day or night

In all seriousness though i agree with most others. I want a handheld light for just convenience of maneuvering it separate of the weapon. But like i said earlier having a weapon mounted light for when you need the other hand or the other light goes down is by all means a good idea. So pick one or both and train with them end of story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom