Del-ton good enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 550.00 delton shot fine against my 1000.00 colt 6920. I couldn't tell the difference.

www.afunnystuff.com_forumpics_notagain.jpg

What does A bit more "in Spec" mean?

Either the upper meets specifications or they don't. the PSA entry level upper and the Del-Ton uppers are in the same quality class. I've got both, can't tell the difference.

The idea of getting the entire kit from FBT is a great idea. It ensures all the parts will work together (that way you don't end up with a mil-spec lower and a commercial spec buffer tube - stuff like that)

Just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean there isn't one. The term "mil-spec" doesn't mean a darned thing. The PSA DOES more closely follow the Technical Data Package (TDP) for a military rifle than the Del-Ton, that's a fact. No AR on the market follows the TDP 100%, but the Colt LE6921 does so more closely than any other AR on the market. No, the TDP is not the be all, end all benchmark for an AR, but it does set a definable standard that substantially exceeds many of the "bargain" AR's on the market. This is based on reliability, durability and accuracy combined.

To the OP, if you want a Del-Ton, get a Del-Ton. If you want FBT, get FBT. If you want Palmetto State, get Palmetto State. If you want Colt, get Colt...

I ran a firing line supervised by 5 active duty soldiers last weekend. I oversaw the firing of about 2,800 rounds through 6 AR's from 4 different manufacturers in about 3 hours. All of them were inspected, cleaned and PROPERLY lubricated prior to firing and periodically throughout. I called the two that choked and quit about 10 minutes before they did exactly that.

All I'm saying is that for a casual shooter who will go out and put a magazine or two through an AR in a casual setting, clean it and repeat in a month or two, nearly any AR will do. Some will break before others and some won't quit until they're worn out. Just don't have unreasonable expectations of your purchase, clean, inspect, lubricate and enjoy. :)

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

Not really sure what **** you're referring to. Maybe I missed something. I simply said I went to the range and shot both rifles and they both shot the same on the 100 yard range. Never said DelTon was the same quality as Colt. Simply said they shot the same. Was I suppose to get a "reach around" with the Colt? Is that what would have made it shoot better?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really sure what **** you're referring to. Maybe I missed something. I simply said I went to the range and shot both rifles and they both shot the same on the 100 yard range. Never said DelTon was the same quality as Colt. Simply said they shot the same. Was I suppose to get a "reach around" with the Colt? Is that what would have made it shoot better?

I didn't infer you said it was as good, you implied that it was as good. Your "reach around" comment reinforces that implication. Nebulous terms such as "quality" "mil-spec", "good enough" do nothing to further the education of your average AR buyer. Only knowledge, specifications and quantifiable reports are helpful. Please read the rest of my post and you'll see I did exactly that.

This isn't a pissing contest and those of us who've been here a while have seen this exact subject come up a dozen different times. You'll also note that I never said, "don't buy XYZ brand...". All I said was define your expectations and don't be unreasonable about them. Was that so bad? :anyone:

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks guys. I figure I will just keep an eye out until i see the right setup. Will definitely have to look into a full FBT build.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The argument between Del-Ton and PSA has raged on many boards many times and will continue long after this thread is dead and gone.

Based on the info the OP has offered, these two uppers would most likely give him the exact same performance. as a light duty plinking rifle, go with the one that costs less so your shooting money goes the furthest.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as a light duty plinking rifle, go with the one that costs less so your shooting money goes the furthest.

This is a reasonable statement.

That's all we really need to consider before giving someone advice on a firearm. Given recommendations that will fill the intended role, the one that affords the ability to buy more ammo is almost always the better choice. :)

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
This is a reasonable statement.

That's all we really need to consider before giving someone advice on a firearm. Given recommendations that will fill the intended role, the one that affords the ability to buy more ammo is almost always the better choice. :)

Which is exactly what I did. He said he was on a budget and I presented my experience with the exact same AR platform he was asking about. I can't help you read more into my comment and assumed I was telling the OP that DelTon quality was the same as Colt.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which is exactly what I did. He said he was on a budget and I presented my experience with the exact same AR platform he was asking about. I can't help you read more into my comment and assumed I was telling the OP that DelTon quality was the same as Colt.

My 550.00 delton shot fine against my 1000.00 colt 6920. I couldn't tell the difference.

Vague post is still...vague. How many rounds? What range? What type of ammo? Saying you can't tell the difference between a $550 Del-Ton and a $1,000 Colt without quantifying why can be misleading. That's all I'm saying. I will admit that my "Aww Geez..." meme amy have been a little harsh. It was more directed at the same question garnering the same replies over and over than your post specifically. Mea Culpa

Latest posts

Top Bottom