Del-ton good enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Vague post is still...vague. How many rounds? What range? What type of ammo? Saying you can't tell the difference between a $550 Del-Ton and a $1,000 Colt without quantifying why can be misleading. That's all I'm saying. I will admit that my "Aww Geez..." meme amy have been a little harsh. It was more directed at the same question garnering the same replies over and over than your post specifically. Mea Culpa

USSA. 300 rounds each. No failures and all hit the designated steel and paper targets. Both sights worked the same.. The post was vague because the OP wasn't asking for an education in ARs. He stated he knew there were better platforms avail, but was looking for a range toy to shoot around 100 yards once a month. Sometimes things get over explained. I simply answered his original question.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry. Didn't mean to start a war. I know a delton isn't the same as a colt, i just don't want a rifle that i will spend more time clearing failures than shooting. After I see what i like/dislike and what i do with it I will look at a better build. Thanks again.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry. Didn't mean to start a war. I know a delton isn't the same as a colt, i just don't want a rifle that i will spend more time clearing failures than shooting. After I see what i like/dislike and what i do with it I will look at a better build. Thanks again.

No worries, you didnt start a war. this discussion has a way of happening at the slightest provocation. I am proudly guilty of doing it myself. It is an important discussion to have, and you seem to understand that distinction and appreciate the advice given.
Given your parameters, I would have no problem recommending a DelTon gun. After a few thousand rounds in different environments and in different configurations (such as optics, sights etc.), you will be able to decide where to go from there.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

You didn't start anything. I always love a good debate and forum conversation. I can tell you, if I needed knowledge on any firearm platform, Glocktogo would be one of my first choices for info. We were just bumping shoulders trying to get the last word in.. Look forward to seeing what you build.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said in my original post. If it's just a plinker or range gun, the Delton will do you fine. When I mentioned PSA typically being more "in spec," I just used that as a catch all phrase for a lot of little things that really don't matter unless you plan on putting 1000's of rounds in carbine courses multiple times a year, ect.

All I care about in an AR is a quality barrel and quality bolt carrier group. Everything else can be nitpicked, but those 2 things are the heart of the rifle. PSA offers from the very cheap 1:7 twist chrome lined barrels from Wilson all the way to cold hammer forged double chrome lined 1:7 twist machine gun barrels from FN. Most Delton barrels are typically 1:9 twist barrels some chrome lined and some not and for the most part, Delton barrels don't use the same stronger alloys (lesser grade steel) that you could get from PSA from roughly the same price.

In terms of BCG's, most manufacturers now put out a decent BCG. A few years ago, BCG's would vary greatly between manufacturers. As long as the bolt is carpenter steel 158 or 9310 then it's good to go. Most manufacturers do decent gas key staking now and most should have the O ring in the extractor. If not, it's cheap and easy to install. The added costs are whether or not every component vs a batch of components are MPI/HP tested and shot peened or not. I've had great results with just batch tested components.

As for everything else, as long as it's 7075 aluminum and fits properly, then go with the cheapest price with whatever label you want :)

Last edited:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran a firing line supervised by 5 active duty soldiers last weekend. I oversaw the firing of about 2,800 rounds through 6 AR's from 4 different manufacturers in about 3 hours. All of them were inspected, cleaned and PROPERLY lubricated prior to firing and periodically throughout. I called the two that choked and quit about 10 minutes before they did exactly that.

In the interest of stirring the pot, what were the rifles that puked down their leg?

Latest posts

Top Bottom