Did I Choose the Wrong Calibers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made the smart move 10yrs ago and decided to buy a press with my first rifle. Didn't start using it until about 8 rears ago. And quickly moved into casting. Since them I've bought a plethora of equipment and components. Everyone seems to be in short supply. The only thing I consider myself short on is .22 ammo. I only have a few thousand....

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess your SHTF planning didn't include stocking up on ammo or investing in reloading equipment/supplies.

I did stock up. However if I burn it up shot shoot shooting like I did up through November then my stockpile is no longera sufficient stockpile

Also the folks I know who purchased reloading equipment can't find reloading supplies either. I thing when it comes down to it for shtf eno stockpile is enough and eventuallyit comes down to scavenging

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did stock up. However if I burn it up shot shoot shooting like I did up through November then my stockpile is no longera sufficient stockpile

Also the folks I know who purchased reloading equipment can't find reloading supplies either. I thing when it comes down to it for shtf eno stockpile is enough and eventuallyit comes down to scavenging

You must stock up while the stuff you need is available. Those getting burned now owe it to lack of preparation. It's not like the gun world didn't warn you.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Its not stocking up if your shooting it. Reloading supplies can be found, it just takes more effort to find right now, and maybe a little luck.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The great thing about reloading, especially in a SHTF scenario is being able to scrounge brass as well as ammo. Where rifle brass is concerned, depending on your prefered caliber, is being able to 'make' what you need from a specific family of brass. ie, .243, 6mm Rem, 7-08, .308 is the same case necked to different bullet size, you can even trim the length of 7mm Mauser or 30-06 to make these.

I shoot 7mm RemMag, my brass stash has .257 Weatherby, 7mm Weatherby, 300Win Mag, 300 Weatherby, .338 Win Mag, even a few .375 H&H. Plus the mixed up head stamps keeps others out of my ammo. and I make 7mm Mauser brass for my son out of .30-06, .270Win and .280 Rem brass. :fullauto:

Last edited:

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not stocking up if your shooting it. Reloading supplies can be found, it just takes more effort to find right now, and maybe a little luck.

I agree with this... as a new reloader I have been diligent in scouting for reloading supplies. Being in the city, the only places I know of to buy reloading supplies locally are Heartland/H&h/ and Henrys in yukon (dont ever get to make it there, but I call every other day to check supply)... Still havent found small pistol primers or the specific caliber and make of 9mm dies I want , but ive found virtually everything else. Im sure its costing me as much in gas as they allow me to buy powder and primers each day.. But I think its worth all the trouble for me, so far..

-Will

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The great thing about reloading, especially in a SHTF scenario is being able to scrounge brass as well as ammo. Where rifle brass is concerned, depending on your prefered caliber, is being able to 'make' what you need from a specific family of brass. ie, .243, 6mm Rem, 7-08, .308 is the same case necked to different bullet size, you can even trim the length of 7mm Mauser or 30-06 to make these.

I shoot 7mm RemMag, my brass stash has .257 Weatherby, 7mm Weatherby, 300Win Mag, 300 Weatherby, .338 Win Mag, even a few .375 H&H. Plus the mixed up head stamps keeps others out of ammo. :fullauto:

**cough cough** ((.300 blackout)) **cough cough**

lol

-Will

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most of my shooting is .223, .22lr, and .45ACP. For okie deer .223 is all that is needed. IF I can get a 6.5 Swede, will probably use it as much as the .223 on deer. About all I use the 7RemMag for anymore is coyotes. 140gr Barnes X bullets can reach out better than AT&T and 'touch' em. Probably wouldn't have a Mag except I got a really good deal on the rifle and figured I may as well have me a Bigunshootsun Loudenboomer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom