Ditching Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I helped my buddy install this guy

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Du...ds=RCA+ANT751+Durable+Compact+Outdoor+Antenna

it was super simple and he's been using for a good 2 weeks now, he gives it a 10/10. We mounted in his attic pointed towards OKC

Thanks for the recommendation, I ordered this same antenna after I read the reviews and did some reading at antennaweb.org and it works great. We get all the same channels that we were paying for in Cox' TV Starter package which was just raised to $24.99 per month. Saving $25 a month makes it pretty darned easy to justify buying a fifty dollar antenna.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that worked out nicely. I ordered the antenna above for $50.99 and Amazon just knocked the price back to $35.82, their price guarantee saved me 15 bucks.

If any of you are close to pulling the trigger on switching to an antenna, $35 is a steal on this model IMO.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cut the cord last week, and use Cox only for their internet connection, at $60.00 per month.
It saves me $105.00 per month.

I use my own Motorola SURFboard modem, a 50 mile Mohu Curve indoor antenna, and I already had Netflix, Apple TV, and a SMART TV.
I live in Norman, pick up 31 channels, and all the OKC channels and then some come in as clear or clearer than Cox.
Since the major channels all line up, adjusting the antenna took seconds.

I watch absolutly no sports, so losing ESPN was a no brainer, and I never have owned a DVR.
When "Walking Dead" comes back on, we'll "buy" the series from Amzon or iTunes.

I bought my own modem and registered it with Cox a week before cutting the cord,and when I cut the cord a week later, discovered that Cox was still charging me rental for a modem.

I never used my landline, so got rid of that.

Several times in the past I had contacted Cox and tried to find a way to cut my bill, as we watched very little in the way of cable TV, and they always manipulate their bundles in such a way that you still pay a lot of money for what you don't use.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several times in the past I had contacted Cox and tried to find a way to cut my bill, as we watched very little in the way of cable TV, and they always manipulate their bundles in such a way that you still pay a lot of money for what you don't use.

Exactly what I experienced as well so I ditched Cox TV a few years ago and went with satellite which is a no-win situation in itself. A couple years ago I scrapped all of it other than a Cox internet connection. My TV gets Netflix and Hulu and I can pick up local channels pretty well. I don't miss cable or satellite. Every once in a great while I wish I could see a particular football game or whatever but the money I save outweighs that.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would need a antenna with at least a 150 mile range....but if I was the OKC area, I would have one, no doubt.

Cable one sucks the big boar tittie. On the verge of turning off their crappy internet service, which only works 1/3 of a month. Been a constant fight with them and I have finally given up.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After seeing the note on my monthly Cox bill, "Rate change March 1. . . " I'm at my limit again. I told my wife a couple of years ago that I refuse to pay more than $150 to Cox for Phone, Cable, and Internet. With the rate change next month this will put me over that limit.

I'm highly considering ditching home phone and cable. Then buying an HD antenna for the house and picking up a Hulu/Netflix subscription. My question for those OKC area antenna users. What chanels are you able to pick up with antenna?

From what I have gathered you can get the standard network channels. PBS and PBS Kids. Then there are the religious and spanish channels. A few others as well. My main concern is local networks.

We ditched any kind of TV service about a year and a half ago. Most of the stuff on TV was garbage anyway. I mainly enjoyed watching the PBS nature shows and Outdoor Oklahoma. I do like Walking Dead, but I've found a few websites I can watch it at online. I can also watch a lot of sports events online as well. I doubt we'll ever go back to paying for broadcast/satellite. The money I save could easily be invested, put toward hobbies, etc.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see the point in any sort of cable or satellite TV, when you can watch every single show online when you want, where you want. Online streaming is the future. Having to pay $100 for a bunch of channels I'll never watch, or watch just for one show, is just a waste. Not to mention you don't even get HD unless you pay extra. I get HD for free with my antenna.

I don't really know anyone under 30 who even has home phone service anymore.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulled the plug in march, kinda missing the final season of Californication, but saving $190 a month takes the sting out. We just buy the season pass to our favorites. Falling Skies and Longmire start in June so we'll spend the money to get them.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bumping the thread to provide some information for the sports fans.

Dish now has a seperate streaming TV service called Sling Tv.

For $20 a month you can stream these channels

ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food, HGTV, Travel, Disney, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, CNN, Go Television

For an additional $5 you can add

ESPNU, SEC Network, ESPN News, Bases Loaded, ESPN Buzzer Beater, Goal Line, beinHDsport, Universal sports.

So if the need for ESPN is what's keeping you tied to the cable company you now have an alternative option.

It's a monthly fee with no contracts. You can cancel at any time.
I'm thinking I will add it during football season for the games on ESPN and cancel after football ends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom