Ditching Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping Sony hurries up and moves Vue to General Availability. I don't need ESPN - I need FoxSports1 and NBCSports.

I have this and it works great. It is a bandwidth hog though. Good thing Cox doesn't gig us for exceeding our data allowance because I routinely go past 350 gig. Wayyyyy past. But Vue has great picture quality and rarely buffers or drops.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We cut the Cox Cable cord too, bought and hooked up antennas recommended by one of the Geek Dudes at Best Buy and can't get KOCO Channel 5! WTF? Everything else comes in nice and clear, and combined with an Amazon Firestick and a Roku, we have plenty to watch...but no Channel 5. Anybody know what the deal is?

AFAIK, Channel 5 is still VHF rather than UHF, so you need an antenna that will handle both, or two separate antennas. Went through that when I went back to an antenna several years ago. Got the right antenna ... problem solved.

And, keep in mind, I'm in Enid so I'm pulling it in from much further away!

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I can get Channel 5 with the same antenna on the TV in the kitchen, but not on the TV in the bedroom. I can't get squat on the main TV in the living room! Gonna fiddle with it...move it around or something. (Or pay for a TV geek to come fix everything).

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Channel 5 is hard to get like "DRC458" said, it's the only one on VHF. I have a RCA751R antenna in my attic running to the livingroom TV and it gets everything. In the bedrooms, one TV has an old bowtie and gets everything but ch5, and the other room has a paperclip and get most channels except 5. You might try a cheap antenna like mine in the attic and use the old cable TV cable to split it to all the rooms.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are a long way from local TV towers. Dual VHF/UHF antennas mounted in different directions is the only antenna system that works to pick up all TV channels. Not only do they need to point different directions, but they also need to be spaced a specific distance apart on the pole for best reception.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this and it works great. It is a bandwidth hog though. Good thing Cox doesn't gig us for exceeding our data allowance because I routinely go past 350 gig. Wayyyyy past. But Vue has great picture quality and rarely buffers or drops.

It only uses 3.8Mbps, which is around the same as Netflix HD.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thing Cox doesn't gig us for exceeding our data allowance because I routinely go past 350 gig. Wayyyyy past.
I kept getting Emails from them for going over all the time at that tier when I started streaming more stuff. I just dropped Cox's land line and movie channels but I kept Contour basic and a DVR for the wifes room and have their mini boxes on all of the other TVs thru out the house. The internet section I bumped up to the 700g tier for just a few more bucks and now have way more than I need, I stream almost everything in my media room and just use cable for news,etc.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm back on this wagon. I'm thinking of picking up some mahu leaf antennas for the tvs. For the streaming in the living room is there any perk from getting an Amazon Fire box opposed to running my xbox one? I was looking at paying the sling subscription is there a better alternative? I'll have Netflix, Amazon prime video and some form of HBO but I'm not sure which route to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom