Ditching Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here's where we are in this whole ditch the cable thing: I put $25 antennas from Best Buy in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, and spare bedroom. Got jail broke Amazon Firestick. ($75). Got a ROKU in living room. Sling TV via ROKU so we can get HGTV, CNN, Food Network, and others. (Sling is $20 month). Sling has a special right now; prepay 3 months and get a new ROKU 2 for free; so I did, and put that one in the bedroom; upgraded to Sling Blue Service for $25 month and now we get all local channels by antenna, every movie and TV show or series imaginable by Amazon Firestick, and like 44 live channels via Sling TV.

Cost: $100 for 4 antennas. $75 for Amazon Fire stick (jail broken). $40 for 1 ROKU. Second ROKU was free from Sling TV. Monthly cost from now on is $25 and We can watch pretty much anything. I mean any movie, documentary or TV show. No need for any other subscriptions like Netflix or Hulu; the Firestick has everything on it. The antennas are HIGH def for our local channels ; and Sling TV works great. With Sling Blue service package, you get like 44 live channels and you can watch different programs on up to 3 devices at same time. I even put the sling app on my phone so I can get sports channels and watch while with the wife, like when leaning on a grocery cart or something...

Drawback: can't decide what to watch next be cause we have EVERYTHING.

$25 per month folks; $25 per month for Sling TV Blue. Cable was around $125 per month til we ditched them. This is a no brainer to me.

Cable companies are going away.
IMG_1925.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It only uses 3.8Mbps, which is around the same as Netflix HD.

What does that equate to per hour? Netflix says 3gig for HD.

I kept getting Emails from them for going over all the time at that tier when I started streaming more stuff. I just dropped Cox's land line and movie channels but I kept Contour basic and a DVR for the wifes room and have their mini boxes on all of the other TVs thru out the house. The internet section I bumped up to the 700g tier for just a few more bucks and now have way more than I need, I stream almost everything in my media room and just use cable for news,etc.

I've not heard a peep from them. If they start throttling or charging for overages I'll upgrade.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to replace Directv but the challenge is internet. Currently stream from my Verizon phone but the data is limited, expensive, and 4G signal is very inconsistent. Satellite internet looks to be the same. Atlink rural satellite may be available but I'm not convinced, yet, that it is reliable. May just have to spend a couple hundred to try the Atlink.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to replace Directv but the challenge is internet. Currently stream from my Verizon phone but the data is limited, expensive, and 4G signal is very inconsistent. Satellite internet looks to be the same. Atlink rural satellite may be available but I'm not convinced, yet, that it is reliable. May just have to spend a couple hundred to try the Atlink.

Cable is probably going to be your only option for this. Sat and cellular are data limited to the extreme even if you could get the speed. This is going to have to change someday, but for now it's just a big cup of suck for those in the sticks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Internet from Exeed satellite for us, 10 gig max per month, and Direct TV for television.
Out in the sticks with no other option.
Exeed notified me I had used 70% of my usage yesterday, two days after starting a new billing cycle, and today told me I'd exceeded 100%, so I'm on slow data plan which is code talk for I can't use my computer for the next 27 days.
This happened once before. Looks like I'll be on the phone for hours tomorrow. Their customer service isn't known for being agreeable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom