Does anyone here frequent Outdoor America on n. MacAuthur in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously. I (like a lot of others here) know what I want when I walk in the door and I know what I'm willing to pay for it. Most of the time cash will buy my patience, but sometimes every cash won't keep me on their floor, or the phone. The last time I called them it was to check on ordering a shot gun, they turned me over to their (lets say) Billy Bob's Gun and Hotrod Parts Representative, At first she couldn't tell if me they had what I wanted (they didn't, but that's why I called), then she couldn't tell me when or if they could get it, then she said "We really don't like to give prices over the phone".
Yup, I'll drive 135 milews for a price check on a gun you may or may not have and may or may not be able to get. That was dissappointing, I had been a customer since they in the little mall at Mac & 23rd.
I drove 15 miles to Tin Star and said "I want one of these, 30" or 33" barrels which ever you can get first". Matt says "Ok. I can have either one Wenesday". That was On Friday. I got it for a good price too.
Sorry, I know TMI.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Service sucks. I feel like a black man in cowboy bar every time I walk in there and Im pretty white. Once I was in a hurry and got tired of waiting to be asked if I needed help, walked behind the counter and helped myself. No one even noticed. Walked to the cashier to pay, guy was eating chicken and had chicken bones all over the counter, his face was covered in grease and fat as can be. A red Neck store if you ask me. I rather pay more and get little better service from H&H.

So if you walk in there with a bucket of KFC, the service will be better...?

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel like a black man in cowboy bar every time I walk in there and Im pretty white.
Well, I've never been a black man or been in a cowboy bar. But I walked in to my wife's beauty shoppe once, so I know the feeling. And please been kind to us rednecks, we don't all eat chicken, and we have feelings too.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*** Use to*** Past Tense***Use to***

Dang, I can remember when Fred had his store North of where it is now. The store (now) back in the 80's through the 90's use to be "as crazy as Wal-Mart during Christmas"!! Parking was horrible, BUT selection was great!! Heck, they even carried Colt pistols!! As time went on....the store started to decline. I don't know why Fred let it get that way, I have heard several stories as to why...but won't list them...as they are "stories".

Now...it just ain't the same....(my Oklahoma way of describing it). There have been a few times when I would see Fred standing in the used/antique section and MAKE HIM wait on me.

I don't know if the gun market has fallen in general, if Fred doesn't care, if he hopes someone will buy him out, if there are so many crazy restrictions or what. His store is a perfect example of "What was" and "What is". Sad to say that, but thats the way it is!!

Cohiba

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And of course BadgeBunny gets good service. Guys dig chicks with guns (and Harley's)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can assure you that has absolutely nothing to do with it ... I am old enough to be some of the staff's mom and gravity has NOT been kind to me over the years. I suspect it's because I used to work at H&H and when some dullard staggers into OAS thinking the staff should drop to their knees and the sucking action should begin the staff and I all go "uhmmmm, yeah ... right". You know ... a "I've been where you are" kinda commisuration. :popcorn:

Besides ... have you ever been married to a JBT and tried to make time with some good looking buck?? Yeah ... I didn't think so ...

I've bought two handguns in there. Ordered my Dan Wesson CBOB through them a few years back. I stopped in there a few months back to pick up a Glock 29. The one they had was in the "Police Only" section. They wouldn't sell me the gun. I figure if my money isn't good enough for them, I'll give it to somebody else. I understand "police discount", nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking take the gun out of the case, sell it to this man without the "police discount" and get another one into inventory. He didn't see it that way. I can't say I'll never go back, but I'll try to resist the temptation.

That's not OAS's fault. It has something to do with Glock IIRC.

Hahahhahhhhaaaaaaaaa, eye contact

LOL ... best post in the entire thread! :yelclap:

OB is right ... you will get mixed reviews. I like Fred and his staff that have been there for a while and am willing to wait on one of them to get to me instead of some of the noobies ... That's the great thing about living on OKC ... you have a choice! :yelclap::yelclap:

I don't know if the gun market has fallen in general, if Fred doesn't care, if he hopes someone will buy him out, if there are so many crazy restrictions or what. His store is a perfect example of "What was" and "What is". Sad to say that, but thats the way it is!!
Cohiba

I must say that this is true. The atmosphere in his "little store" was so much better.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Their prices are good, but agree service is cr@ppy at best. if you go in there no one is ever in a hurry, and usually will ignore you. They do act like they're doing you a favor by waiting on you. my son bought a S&W in their this year and it took all afternoon to buy it,etc. I would rather go to H&H or Big Boys.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OAS used to be my #1 destination in OKC when I was in town, but now I seldom go there. Inventory has steadily declined and the the staff needs to go back to their jobs as shoe clerks someplace. I miss the old days when I would make the rounds about twice a year of Outdoor America, Southwest Shooters, and Mashburn's. :uberblast

Cedar Creek

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I've never been a black man or been in a cowboy bar. But I walked in to my wife's beauty shoppe once, so I know the feeling. And please been kind to us rednecks, we don't all eat chicken, and we have feelings too.

You're on the computer, wrong kind of red neck.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if you walk in there with a bucket of KFC, the service will be better...?

lol , I guess. I love chicken but to walk into an establishment, a business and see a fat guy sucking the meat of the chicken bones and see all that grease on his face was pretty disgusting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom