Does anyone here frequent Outdoor America on n. MacAuthur in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez lots of thin skinned guys here re: service; or to use the local vernacular a whole bunch of butt hurt going on.

Lets see...

Good Service - spend more money get less stuff.

Poor Service - butt hurt - spend less money get more stuff.

So we should all just roll over and let the 'Wal-Mart' way run how we buy things?

When I walk into a store I do not expect to be treated like royalty. However I do expect -somebody- in the store to simply acknowledge I am there or ask me if I need anything.

It that really that hard or too much to ask for?? Really is it?

If it is so, well, I'm disgusted by it all.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One last story and will not bore you kids to death any more this evening. I had two of Fred's former employees go to work for me sometime before I retired and again this was in the 90's. One worked in archery and one was the scope guy. Both recounted without my asking them of their work experience at OAS. Both would give papers with orders for product and accessories in their respective departments. James, last name is not needed here because if you shopped there then you knew him. Tallest guy in the store, played B Ball for OU with a friend of mine in the 60's and worked elsewhere since. James and the other said the orders would sit on Fred's desk for months, six months at least.
Now, don't know but you probably do know that Fred has a very lucrative or did have wholesale business. Another Friends daughter worked on that side and it is my understanding that is where Fred is or has made the bulk of the money over the years. Of course, this sounds like hearsay, but it may well be why little is done in the retail side. Just sayin' folks.
Good night and good luck, as ERM used to say. Oh, that is Edward R. Murrow before the, well, 'nough said.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've bought two handguns in there. Ordered my Dan Wesson CBOB through them a few years back. I stopped in there a few months back to pick up a Glock 29. The one they had was in the "Police Only" section. They wouldn't sell me the gun. I figure if my money isn't good enough for them, I'll give it to somebody else. I understand "police discount", nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking take the gun out of the case, sell it to this man without the "police discount" and get another one into inventory. He didn't see it that way. I can't say I'll never go back, but I'll try to resist the temptation.

In defense of OAS....Glock sells LE models at a discounted rate so the shops can then sell them to LE/Fire/MIl/First Responders at a discounted rate. The dealer has to complete a form to prove to Glock they sold the gun to someone who qualified. Dealers (and distributors) have lost the opportunity to sell Glocks by violating this trust.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have NEVER had bad service there, and have been going there for a very, very long time. Everybody usually says "Hi" or "Whatcha getting today?" If you go in and kick tires several times, you get the kind of service that comes with that. They are on the ticket. If go in just to look, I say so right away. If I'm buying that day, I make it known so we can get on with the paperwork.

I have spent thousands of dollars there over the last 20ish years, and feel I have always gotten a great deal.

C&J in Bethany almost always sells below the marked price for me, and probably would do the same for most, if you ask nicely, and happen to be pretty like me.

I haven't bought a gun from H&H since they were smaller, and only selling used rentals and consignments. Will is my buddy.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shopping at OAS for over 20 years. I have never had an issue getting someone to help me, other than waiting my turn when the store is busy. Their prices are VERY hard to beat. Good example, I was needing a .22 jag yesterday. I went to OAS first, but it was the only caliber they were out of. All their brass jags are $1.98. Bass Pro did not have them, CJ sporting goods did not have them. HH gun range had them, but their jags are $3.98. I needed it, so I took it in the @$$ from HH. I know a brass jag is a small item, but OAS really does have good prices on just about everything they carry.

JKClay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a spikes upper and a lot of accessories from them Friday...best prices I could find in town. The customer service was really slow, I actually asked a guy in the gunsmith booth if I could have some help (he was the closest to me) he said sure and walked behind the wall, I assumed to come around the other side, but just never came out! I asked another guy for help and all went well.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How the heck does butt hurt have anything to do with customer service? Sheesh.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assmume that's a serious question.

From this thread it seems that not a few place a higher priority on having a sales person treat them nice than they do on price. That tells me that those guys consider good service more important than having to suffer poor service by rude or slow sales people than they do price. In other words they're willing to pay a higher price to avoid suffering the butt hurt of poor service.

Personally I don't give a crap how they treat me (up to a point) as long as I get what I want at a price I consider fair. I guess my threshold of feeling put out or put upon is lower than some. Each to his own. We all have different priorities.

PDN

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've bought several guns there. The prices are usually among the best in OKC metro area. The service is generally very slow... the guys are usually reasonably helpful if you can find them. The last few times I've been in there, there are no other customers so it's been a little easier to get someone to help you. I really don't see how they stay in business... I assume the do a lot of wholesale business but I don't know that.

-Paul

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assmume that's a serious question.

From this thread it seems that not a few place a higher priority on having a sales person treat them nice than they do on price. That tells me that those guys consider good service more important than having to suffer poor service by rude or slow sales people than they do price. In other words they're willing to pay a higher price to avoid suffering the butt hurt of poor service.

Personally I don't give a crap how they treat me (up to a point) as long as I get what I want at a price I consider fair. I guess my threshold of feeling put out or put upon is lower than some. Each to his own. We all have different priorities.

It was a serious question. I don't get my skivies in a wad if I am not waited on hand and foot. What I value is my time and if that means I spend a little more to get better or faster service so be it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom