Does anyone here frequent Outdoor America on n. MacAuthur in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought alot of things from OAS over the years. The store has gone down hill, but they can still beat about any price around. When I go to H&H, it is to shoot a few rounds and maybe eat. I won't buy guns at H&H because I can't make myself pay $500+ for a gun that is $440 at OAS. I also like Big Boys and Cold Hand Arms. Every store has its goods and bads. When I go into OAS, I know what I am going to get. They may be getting slower, but they have always been friendly to me.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went in there knowing exactly what I wanted with a wad of cash to pay for it. Evidently the wad of cash wasn't as important as the BS session going on. One phone call and 15 minutes later, Gene Sears had that wad of cash.

A simple "I'll be right with you" would have kept that wad of cash in their store.

At OAS the best way to get service is to ask for it. The above described situation is not unusual. Walking up and interupting a BS session and saying "Can you help me with something", or "could you walk over to the counter with the .45 and show me something" works every time and I have yet to get a dirty look from any of the the less than stellar counter help when doing it.

In the past 10 or 12 years I've spent multiple 10's of thousands of dollars on firearms and guns. 2/3 of it has been at OAS. Sure the service sucks but the prices beat H&H hands down and you don't get the condescending looks from the help at OAS like you do at H&H when you break up a BS session there.

Hell - half the fun of going to a gun store is the BS sessions but when the help isn't smart enough to end them to help a customer its OK to end 'em yourself. When you have to do it though price becomes a much bigger issue than service.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez lots of thin skinned guys here re: service; or to use the local vernacular a whole bunch of butt hurt going on.

Lets see...

Good Service - spend more money get less stuff.

Poor Service - butt hurt - spend less money get more stuff.

Kind'a seems like a no brainer to me. More STUFF wins every time.

Being friends with the sales people at any gun store in the OKC metro isn't high on my list of priorities so I could care less what they think of me or how crappy the service is unless they're just down right rude,incompetent or stupid - and I've only had to deal with incompetent once since 1985 at a gun store and that was at H&H.

Yep more stuff trumps having my butt kissed by a salesperson everytime.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez lots of thin skinned guys here re: service; or to use the local vernacular a whole bunch of butt hurt going on.

Lets see...

Good Service - spend more money get less stuff.

Poor Service - butt hurt - spend less money get more stuff.

Kind'a seems like a no brainer to me. More STUFF wins every time.

Being friends with the sales people at any gun store in the OKC metro isn't high on my list of priorities so I could care less what they think of me or how crappy the service is unless they're just down right rude,incompetent or stupid - and I've only had to deal with incompetent once since 1985 at a gun store and that was at H&H.

Yep more stuff trumps having my butt kissed by a salesperson everytime.
To me, there is more then one way of showing customer service. When a S&W M&P9 is $491 out the door, that tells me something. When another store's on the shelf price, is over $500 before tax. That tells me what they think of their customers as well. Its the same thing at the gun shows. Thats why you shop around. When a man places a gen3 Glock 17 on a table and marks it $575. Its because he thinks that someone is stupid enough to pay it. He can smile and bs me all he wants. I am not the guy that is going to pay that. I think that I have been in there enough times that they know I am not a window shopper. Maybe I was lucky by going there years ago, before it started to go down hill.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought alot of things from OAS over the years. The store has gone down hill, but they can still beat about any price around. When I go to H&H, it is to shoot a few rounds and maybe eat. I won't buy guns at H&H because I can't make myself pay $500+ for a gun that is $440 at OAS. I also like Big Boys and Cold Hand Arms. Every store has its goods and bads. When I go into OAS, I know what I am going to get. They may be getting slower, but they have always been friendly to me.

Ewwwww ... that's NAS-TEE ... lol

There are a couple of things going on in this thread I do not understand --

1. Why do some of you guys think a gun store is where you go to get oral sex?? and

2. Why some of you guys (and Biggsly's not alone -- where's dustingaunder??) eat at H&H??

Maybe it's just a girl thing but I go to the gun store to buy guns and gun assessories ... oh and ammo ... ;)

Last edited:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fred is on the list for a lung transplant. Don't know if he'll get it or not. His health has been on the decline for years. I'm more interested in the best possible price rather then fluff. If I wanted a hamburger I'd go to Burger King.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most interesting from bashing Fred/OAS to bashing other stores and so forth. I shopped at Fred's long ago, never had a problem getting waited but I am a WASP. I had two fellows that worked for me on several of my crews before I retired, this is in the 90's. One a Vietnamese, US citizen, and one of my best workers, was in OAS one Saturday and I was already in the store. I saw Trung and had our very polite chat. The salesman would not look at him standing beside me. I finally told the salesman we needed assistance, he caved in. I stayed with Trung the whole way through the ordeal to ensure he got the service he deserved. Another time, another worker of mine was in there, he is only a few years younger than myself and of Mexican decent, born here many years ago and parents and all of the family have been US citizens for longer than many here have been alive. His brother was with him, the brother, well educated and loves bird hunting. He had cash in hand and wanted a specific shotgun, very nice one. Again, I had to get the attention of a salesman to get any help because they did not want to wait on him. After some discussion, I said thanks but we are busy. He bought his very nice over and under elsewhere. That is not the end of my very few problems I have seen there.
I was in there, again in the 90's. Was over in the area where the M1A's were at that time stocked for display. Several customers were at the counter. The Salesman if you wish to call him, I knew personally, because he was a teacher in th OKC system and had in the past a part time job of cleaning out offices and locker rooms for the plant, so I was very familiar with his demeanor. Well, as I and three other customers were at the counter and not really bugging the salesman, another customer came up and asked the salesman about the problem he had with a brand new scope he had just purchased there the day before. He politely asked why the gunsmith couldn't help him with it. Okay, you won't believe this but the salesman literally told the customer in a very loud voice in front of myself and the others to: Go **** yourself! That is all folks. I was in such shock, but I knew the salesman's demeanor and in the end was not surprised, I and the others walked out, it would not have been so bad but the customer asking the question was very polite and mild in his voice, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom