Does anyone here frequent Outdoor America on n. MacAuthur in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've posted this story previously but it bears repeating. I bought a pistol in OAS and near the end of the transaction the salesmen begins to regale with stories of his lovely wife who has dentures. He goes on in great detail about how a hummer from a woman with no teeth is the ultimate pleasure. I kid you not. It was totally out of left field too. Our conversation literally went from buying to pistol, to doing the paperwork, to let me tell you the intimate details of my sexual relationship with my wife. I thought at some point he was going to proposition me for a visit to his house.

This guy was pushing 60 I suppose. While I was happy for the guy, I was completely dumbfounded by his lack of professionalism and did not know what to say. I had a buddy with me and it felt so awkward for both of us we were just ready to get the pistol and go. However, i still go back because I got the pistol for $60 less than anywhere else in town and they included an extra magazine to boot. I haven't ever been able to find lower prices locally and other than this one strange experience, I have never had any issues.

In fact, I was in there asking some newbie questions about AR10s and the guys were very polite and willing to educate me quite a bit about them. I usually go during the day on weekdays. I think that is when you will only find the full time employees. I think on the weekends they bring in extra part time help and that might be where some of the bad experiences are coming from.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
OAS is OK if you know what you want so you can help yourself. I've shopped with them for years, anyone remember when they were up the street in the strip mall on the east side just south of 23rd? But, their customer service sucks. (Which paid off for me. The last time I was there, there was a guy trying to sell them a gun and they blew him off. I bought the gun in the parking lot from the guy!!!) H&H has a better selection, ad don't forget SportsWorld in Tulsa.
I can remember it across the street and going in there with my dad, it was called Fred Bakers if I remember right. I think the same employees have worked there forever. Their reloading inventory is about half what I remember it being.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've bought a few things from them over the years. They do have good prices. The customer service is very hit or miss. Mostly, they act like they don't give a damn whether you buy or don't buy.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've bought two handguns in there. Ordered my Dan Wesson CBOB through them a few years back. I stopped in there a few months back to pick up a Glock 29. The one they had was in the "Police Only" section. They wouldn't sell me the gun. I figure if my money isn't good enough for them, I'll give it to somebody else. I understand "police discount", nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking take the gun out of the case, sell it to this man without the "police discount" and get another one into inventory. He didn't see it that way. I can't say I'll never go back, but I'll try to resist the temptation.

When I worked there it was illegal for OAS to sell LE guns to the public. I think now that its the manufactures that dont allow it.
I have been buying guns from them since Fred selling out of the big white truck before he had a store. I have always been sold great product at a very good price. When I go in the store if Fred is on the floor he always makes it a point to say hi. I have had some of the employees ignore me before but I just ask another and get helped quicklly.
I like the Bakers and their employees and will continue to buy my guns there.
Now if I still has some money...

Mark

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've never been a black man or been in a cowboy bar. But I walked in to my wife's beauty shoppe once, so I know the feeling. And please been kind to us rednecks, we don't all eat chicken, and we have feelings too.

Kinda forgettin' about Ole Bill Pickett, aren't ya?

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my first AR-15 from Fred Baker Firearms back in 1980. Bought my first Colt Python from him in 1983 as well. In the early 80's I was working alot of extra jobs to feed my gun a month habit and spent my share of money with Fred. Back then, OKC had a pretty decent choice in Fred Baker and Southwest Shooters. I typically dont take my guns to gun shop gunsmiths any more. I'm not saying that that smith working in a gun shop is bad, its just that I've had better satisfaction with smiths that are working on their own.

With all that said, I've found some pretty decent prices at Fred Bakers over the years. Its been a couple of years since I bought a gun there, but the price I got on my Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 was competitive in OKC and on the Internet. Their stock on reloading, gun cleaning, holsters and gun cases has really gotten bad over the past several years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom