Does anyone here frequent Outdoor America on n. MacAuthur in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Emphasis mine.

Are you sure about OAS doing fine?

I ask because I've been going there for a very long time and my perception is that I see fewer customers in the place than ever before. I like the prices, don't mind the attitude and can hang around in there for hours just browsing but I just can't get past the notion that there's a whole lot less folk in the shop at any given instance than I've ever noticed before. Add to that that the owner has a habit of getting into pissing contests with vendors (CZ to mention just one) and the fire marshall and one wonders...

Do you know how many years I have been hearing of Fred's demise and impending bankruptcy?? I mean seriously ... If I had a nickel for everytime someone told me "this is it for the old man, he's on his last leg ... no way they'll be there in the next 6 months" I'd be a wealthy woman.

Sure, his time is gonna come, just like it will for all of us, but if there was ever a man whose time will come ON HIS OWN TERMS, it is Fred Baker. Well, him and Harry out at Banner ... I adore both those old guys! They just don't make men like that anymore ... And the world is a worse off place for it.

Last edited:

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not so sure they are doing fine either, as Fred doesn't seem to be ordering many guns to replace the ones they sell. Every time I go in there, the store has less stock.

If you want help, you have to ask for it. That's just the way it is. I get about the same service at Big Boys (probably because I'm so handsome), but I will still do business with them if I find a good price. There is no use in missing a deal because you don't get waited on in the fashion you want.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ehhhh ... you guys could, of course, be right about the "fine" part. We're all getting older (and by some accounts, crankier) by the second.

And yes, Weatherby, you are a handsome debil ... ;)

Mykah

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Years ago, I offered to buy a Wildey .45 Winchester Mag. I asked them to split the cost of a box of ammo with me. They were pretty rude. Months later when I stopped in it was still there. That is a speciality pistol for a limited clientle. They let a few bucks kill the deal.

WOW!! This boggles my mind!! You didn't purchase a gun you special ordered from a store because they wouldn't buy you some ammo?????? Glad my customers don't try and force me to buy them something when they shop at my store. Not judging but that just doesn't make any sense.....

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, I don't know, maybe because they know you? This was years ago, before I even went to law school. I'd bought a few guns from them at the time. Again, I would have done the deal, even with paying for the ammo, if they had not been such douchebags. And again, on a high end speciality item like that, I would have expected they would want to move it. It sat there for a long time.

Despite your personal affection for these guys, it seems like lots of different people have had negative experiences there, based on what has been posted in this and other threads. I don't think everyone is being hypersensitive. Clearly, there is some sort of issue. From what Wolfie just posted, it just seems like people are exercising their right not to shop there.

Mykah

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have no love either way... I understand if someone is a douche, but its just some people expect a business to give them all kinds of deals.... as if they weren't there to make money. People gotta pay the rent......

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, I don't know, maybe because they know you? This was years ago, before I even went to law school. I'd bought a few guns from them at the time. Again, I would have done the deal, even with paying for the ammo, if they had not been such douchebags. And again, on a high end speciality item like that, I would have expected they would want to move it. It sat there for a long time.

Despite your personal affection for these guys, it seems like lots of different people have had negative experiences there, based on what has been posted in this and other threads. I don't think everyone is being hypersensitive. Clearly, there is some sort of issue. From what Wolfie just posted, it just seems like people are exercising their right not to shop there.

Oh no. This was years ago also. Fred didn't know me or Scott from Adam's off ox ...

And as far as your last paragraph goes I have some personal experience with the threads that get started on here for the purposes of "discussion". Not that long ago I was a racist, uneducated, and mean and bitchy to every single person who darkened the door at H&H -- on some kind of power trip apparently. Several members here (some of them still members here) actually PM'd my husband and asked him to "talk" to me because, and I quote "if this many OSA membersa are having problems with her there must be something wrong" even though they themselves had not dealt with me.

I actually had a guy come in H&H and "test" me, then PM me later to apologize for "piling on" in the thread as he had actually never met me or done business with me.

So ... you can think what you want, of course, but I tend to think that these types of threads are nothing but huge circle jerks ... You guys can be so predictable sometimes ...

(Oh ... and in every single case that was posted about me being an unreasonable whore ... it was somebody wanting to BEND THE RULES, or get something for nothing. I'm kinda a stickler for the rules when it comes to shooting ... but that's just me ... uneducated, racist ***** that I am ... lol)

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW!! This boggles my mind!! You didn't purchase a gun you special ordered from a store because they wouldn't buy you some ammo?????? Glad my customers don't try and force me to buy them something when they shop at my store. Not judging but that just doesn't make any sense.....

Your boggled mind has impacted your reading comprehension. ha ha Where did you get that I "special ordered" the gun? I never said that, because I did not. I saw it in the case and made an offer.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh ... LOL ... JB your post reminded me of something else that these types of threads are prone to ...

There is a member here whose girlfriend tried to use the LEO discount at H&H even though she was not a LEO. I was the one who refused to give her the discount. According to her post here I very nearly drug her out behind the store and beat her senseless ... It is amazing what people will type on the internet. Unfortunately for her the gunsmith happened to be standing by my side during our little "discussion" and the only person outta control was her. We all got a HUGE laugh at the store about what she posted here.

There is an old saying ... Tall fences make big dogs ... A lot of that goes on in these threads. I take them all with a grain of salt ...

So in the end does the customer service in OAS leave something to be desired? Probably, but not nearly as much as one might think just reading this thread. Is that any reason to throw away a good deal?? Guess that depends, but not for me. However, YMMV ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom