Drivers license advice..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple things to consider. Make sure if you are getting a new OK license coming from another state then have ALL the proper paperwork they request. It's been a couple years since getting mine but I believe I had to have originals of a utility bill, original of by birth cert or maybe a copy of it and several other documents. I had originals and copies of everything jsut in case they wanted to keep one of them. THey will not allow you to show copies saved on your phone so don't count on those being valid.

3-4 years ago I wasn't going to wait in line to get an upgraded Real ID drivers license as the wait was far to long so our family all applied/renewed our passports. You can get a passport along with a passport ID card. Looks like a PP but is the size of a drivers license and is accepted anything a Real ID would be needed for. Will last for 10 years too.

My point, if you can get a regular OK drivers license quicker then apply for a Passport and be doing with it. Never a bad reason to have a passport that I know of.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The state ID's are good for flights in the US and to Alaska, Hawaii and other US territories. To inter and exit other countries requires a passport or visa.
Have you been to reality? Who is going on Vacation right now?

Much less Alaska or Hawaii. They are currently repo 100 cars a night in NY. People are defaulting on loans. All them stimulus payments. Used to get a used car.

Millions of these, if you are in okc, Lawton, or Tulsa...oh you in Tulsa you saw them if you know what I mean.

It was all those annual paper tags people had there for a while, and you paid that 276 on a 1y old car because that is what you do.

I do well, and 6 dollar a gallon milk kinda stings my man, but I would rather think my money stays local.

That aint just me and you see 3 dollar a head lettuce, and 79c a lb bananas? So get with the program...man!

I want you to understand this, 2500 dollars roughly wife and I spent to get set up growing our own vegetables, got a pretty sweet set up.

But we doing this for a few people, wanna help our direct neighbors, middle of the city.

140,000 I made last year, and now...2023 I am paid up enough that we got a fixer upper.

Wife, me, teenager and 2 awsome dogs.

We are comfortable from we once had a fire spread to our apartment. No money for savings, 80,000 a year gross. 1200 a month rent. 2bdrm 2 bath **** hole of an apartment. Gun shots July to August.

I held a mofo at gunpoint once, because my kid is white and that one's gf liked him more. Word for word what he said.

That what is left over is substantial.

You think that circumstance is common? Like people you see on the road, driving around doing people things?

This was rambling I know, but I really hope you inflected a bit of some meaning there.

I will still say that I couldn't afford to jet off from Oklahoma to Alaska or Hawaii with my family with what I make. When common income is 32,000 Oklahoma 28,944 as of 2020.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PSA: OK does not send out renewal notices, DON'T renew online it will take longer. If you renew before 365 days you are OK. Remember your age affects cost.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have passports because we both had to travel internationally on occasion for our jobs before retiring and my time in the military. We also travel to foreign countries for vacations.
Unfortunately, the system is progressing toward the point where it will not accommodate you. You will have to accommodate the system. Right or wrong, that is the way it is headed, and we can't stop it.
It's not the way you or I wish it would in a utopian society, but in reality, with the open borders, do we not need a way to ID people coming across to see if they are good people we want in our country?
Other countries that do control their borders want the same internal security for their citizens.
A lot of people are content to stay in their local area for their entire lives which is awesome. No issues from me for doing that.
Others wish to venture out and see the world. They need that passport and, in some cases, the Real ID.
I could be wrong, but most states require every citizen within that state to have a real ID. Oklahoma was one of the last hold outs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
We (Oklahoma) are one of the exceptions. We do not need or require a real ID. It’s only purpose is for entering federal buildings, military installations, or flying around in the continental United States.

I haven’t been on an aircraft since I left the service in 99. It’s kind of funny because I work on aircraft on a daily basis. I’ve been to more states and countries than the average bear. My desire to travel via aircraft is non existent.

Now on the other hand the exception of riding my Harley to different places is a different story.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved to the Tulsa area in November. Went to the Service OK office in Bartlesville about 2 weeks later around 2pm and was told to come back because they had 2 people out sick and they wouldn't be able to get to me before closing. Between those delays and the delays getting an original Birth Certificate, I was here like 4 months before I got my DL.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Tulsa. My Washington DL expires this month, and I didn't think too much about the complications of getting my license transfered. According to the interwebs, both of Tulsa's locations are already booked up 60 days.(by appt only)
Mon-Fri of course, which means taking a day off work to go try a walk-in office in one of the surrounding areas. I've also read recently that lots of people are getting turned away at local offices even when arriving prior to opening hrs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You'll need to go to a State DPS office and get your OK driver's record established. You can't just go to a tag agent or other location that issues a license since you have an out-of-state license.

When we moved back to Oklahoma in 2004 I tried to just do what I had always done and go to a tag agency. Even though I had an Oklahoma driver's record from when I got my license originally they wouldn't or couldn't issue me a new license without the visit to DPS first.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to OKC DPS. I was told to get there 1-2 hours early. The day I went there was an ice storm the night before. So I got to DPS early just to be told they wouldn’t open till 10:00 am because of all the ice on the roads. Stood in line outside for around 4 hours. Once I got in it went pretty quick though.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever you guys do, don’t go to Shawnee DPS. Reading this thread reminded me I need to renew my license in two months. Going online to book an appointment. Everybody is booked out. Guess I should’ve done it some months back. Anyways I get to Shawnee this morning and it’s not open. Matter fact, the buildings all tore up. And so is the airport next to it. All the little hangers are bust it up to include the tower all down on the ground Turns out the tornado back in April hit it. But it’s not updated online saying it’s closed.

I ended up making an appointment in Clinton in order to get my CDL. This is a pain in the keister. I guess I’m just going to get a regular Oklahoma license again. Four years ago I didn’t bother getting a real ID. I don’t really see a need for it. I haven’t been on a plane since 99. I have a military ID so I can still get on base.

I think it’s kind of Nazi like requiring people to have a federal real ID card just for a flight between the states in the event they wanted to. I know this went into affect under George W. Bush, but this is some shady democrat feeling type of thing. My Spidey sense feel there’s something wrong with it.

Last edited:

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently got my CDL renewed at the new(ish) dps in Chesapeake city on classen. I arrived at 6:20am. I was 35th in line. Doors opened at 7:00AM. I was otd around 10:30am. Changed over to a real ID that’s good for 8 years. Got a temp paper ID with the real thing supposed to be delivered in 2-3 weeks. This is week 2.

Latest posts

Top Bottom