Dropped homeowners insurance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had State Farm since before we bought this house. We had a roof claim within a month of buying it. Our second claim was this year(exactly 10 years apart to the month). I'm holding my breath for what happens after we get the claim finalized. Luckily our policy just renewed at the beginning of March.

Even before we had the hail storm the Mrs. and I had the discussion on shopping around for insurance on the house. We will see what happens.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my house, 2 vehicles and a boat with State Farm. Everything except the roof of the house can be kept inside out of hail the majority of the time. I had a claim for a roof 2 years ago. They have been good to me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK farm bureau is a separate company from Farmers or State Farm. I believe every state has a XXXXX Farm Bureau, they are all separate entities.

Correct.
Farm Bureau used to do some city stuff, but was founded for farms and ranches. They also maintain a political arm that is supposed to fight for Farmers/ranchers rights, etc.

They do a fair job at that.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my house, 2 vehicles and a boat with State Farm. Everything except the roof of the house can be kept inside out of hail the majority of the time. I had a claim for a roof 2 years ago. They have been good to me.

So far so good here too, surprisingly. My wife has been with them since she bought the house in 98', so weve just stayed with them as they havent been any trouble to us and the price has stayed fairly steady with no big spikes. I added my vehicles and stuff a few years after we married.

We have a house, a shop/studio, some land, 4 of my vehicles and the sons truck are on liability, the ol ladies new SUV and one of my cars on comp. We have only turned the big or necessary stuff in, not the little things I can fix myself or with help. They have put up patiently with my frequent car buying and selling.
(My condo, shop, some vehicles I leave in Des Moines Iowa we use Farm Bureau. My Aframe cabin and land in northern CA, vehicles there, our shop in Modesto, etc, we use an independant agency).

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Same here. I've had State Farm for 20+ years. Hail on house roof and three cars, one wreck on wife's car and a pretty big lightning claim in that time. Always paid out and my agent even personally delivered a check to get our A/C going after the lightning strike.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had OFB since I was 16 with my first car. Filed several claims over the years for hail on roofs cars, etc. Had a lightning strike claim and roof leak/water damage. Never had any issues getting paid. My premiums went up about 50% a couple years ago on the house. Was about $900/year and went to $1800 but I think most peoples did.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had Farmers since 1982 and they've always been good to us. They put two roofs on our house in a 5 year period and never adjusted our rates because of it. Yes rates went up each year but they always do. I changed my deductible this year from $1000 to $2500 and it went down 28%.

Coz

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Farmers as well.

Been with them forever, and lived in Moore for 27 years with not a single claim.
Then I moved to Newalla and a major hailstorm in 2010 resulted in a $18,000 dollar claim they paid.
3 years later in 2013 the house was completely destroyed and Farmers paid for everything, total of about $175,000.
I was afraid they would drop me but so far they still want my business even if the rates have increased lately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom