First European Mount Attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCIS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got a question and this is going to make me look completely retarded but yes this actually happened.
2010 season i killed a nice 11 pointer. Never done a European mount in my life so i thought ill do it to this guy. Put the head in a trashbag and ziptied it up so i could do my research and know what i was doing in the coming days. Well this turned into that business stuff, family outings, just one thing after the other and next thing you know 2 weeks ago im in my shop looking for some car parts and i come across a trashbag........ Yup and no i still havent opened it.... No clue how i completely forgot about this deer. Ive killed countless deer in my life and never done something this stupid. My only guess is that same year i killed the biggest buck of my life in SW texas on my wifes family ranch and i was so pumped about that thing i didnt talk about anything else for the next year combined with starting multiple new businesses and everything else that comes with life.
Now to my question.....

Is it to late to do anything with this head ill be honest im scared to open it but nothing a pair of gloves and a respirator wont stop me from doing. Can i still open it and stick it in an old turkey frying pot and clean it up or is this thing wasted? From just feeling through the bag the antlers are still solid. Any ideas, suggestions?

original poster - Whats up man havent talked to you in years. Since Devon/Speed-tribe days. Nice looking mount by the way.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey stalker....lol jk. Thank you sir, still in IT, doing the needful for lazy Admins.

I'd imagine it shouldn't be a problem, but it may take a longer period of soaking in a 5 gallon bucket. I'd soak it outdoors for 3 days or so, then boil. By now, most of the flesh has rotted and shouldn't cause too much of a smell, just use liberal amounts of dawn dish soap while boiling.

Great looking mount there Justin.

OKCIS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never skinned the head either be interesting to see what that looks like now. Maybe i got lucky and something ate everything inside that bag lol.
I dont have anything to do for a week so maybe ill break out and finish this mount. Headed back to the ranch on the 30th to bring home another wall hanger hopefully.

Edit: Antlers were never left out to bleach. He was stuck in a bag and never taken out so hopefully they still look the same. Ill get my camera out and take some pictures of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom