Ford 302 or 351W?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know some of you on here can give me better info than I can find on the web so here goes. Getting ready to purchase a 1971 Ford Bronco, the seller bought it under the impression that it was a 302. He's had a couple of people come look at it they have told him that it was not a 302 and that it was a 351W. I know you can pull a plug and measure the internal distance to the top, but can you visually tell the difference some how?

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
find the casting number on the block...also a 351w is a taller deck motor than a 302 so the intake will be wider maybe could take an accurate measurement? also a 351w winsor has larger diamenter head bolts than a 302 may be able to tell by popin a valve cover off seeing what head size it is not sure of the sizes tho...for a chevy guy i know a bit about fords i guess....know your enemy!

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
being that old never know what was swapped in after it left detroit. Like an old IH 2 ton my had has, its a '54 model but had a '65 engine in it. totally different familly of engine but the motor mount lined up like was meant to be

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Windsors are a popular swap into early Broncos; measure the width of the intake for starters. Between bolt hole centers on the rear (IIRC) should be around 9" or so for the W, and 7" or so for the 302.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
stolen info...

The 351 version of the Windsor added approx. 1/2" to the deck height to the 302. The easiest way to spot a 351 is to notice the difference in height between the intake gasket surface and the top of the timing cover at the front of the block.

Another difference between the 351 from the 302 is the 1/2" diameter of its head bolts compared to the 302 7/16" bolts. 302 blocks had provisions for 12 head bolts and the 351W has 16.

the 351 has a ridge on the block by the distributor and the 302 does not.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For grins, you might even look at the front of the block, left (driver's side) bank near the fuel pump, and see if it has "351" on it. Ford was good about casting displacement numbers on the front of many of the blocks. But only try this with this one; many of their blocks have one displacement cast in it, but the engine is bored/stroked different (see "FE" series).

Latest posts

Top Bottom