Freakin pigs are back!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting anyone has to process the hogs or drive halfway across the state...not sure where any of that came from. I was under the impression that if someone had hogs that they were killing and instead of just leaving them for the vultures like a lot of people do, set up a way to let others come pick them up and use them for food. No need for this to turn into anything else, it's easy. As I said, I can process the animal myself, it can't be much different than deer. At the very most gutting the pig would be the very most work the shooter would have to do to make sure the meat is even fit to eat. It's a gross job so if a shooter wanted to be paid for that I wouldn't be against it.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I am kinda like okbassin. I am not just gonna let everyone come on my land and shoot up some hogs. I have only seen a couple and want to keep it that way. I am gonna be setting traps. When I do will ask on here if some want meat. I am taking one for sure. I can have your number ready and if I check traps and have hogs I will call and say come get it. I can shoot it then or wait til you get there. But I am not gonna have the traps all set up and then have to quarter ya out a hog or freeze it for ya for nothing. yeah its a free hog but my time is worth something. anyways I am in process of setting up a trap. When I get it done and start checking it I will get a list started.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some of you are missing the original point of this. It's supposed to be about people with a hog problem that normally shoot the animals and leave them because they don't need nor want them, allowing others, who do need and want the meat, to be able to get together and problem solved.

Nobody is asking anybody to give away anything that person plans to keep or sell for themselves. Ya'll are getting bunged up over something that doesn't even apply to you. If you hunt or trap hogs and use them then, by all means, go ahead, this isn't about you. This is about the land owners out there who are trying to get rid of the pigs because they are damaging their property and income not land owners who are using the pigs for profit or for their own freezers, so let's get that cleared up now.

If you are going out to hunt or trap hogs that you have no use for then this is what we are talking about. Instead of leaving them lay or pushed into a ditch for the buzzards that person can notify someone who wants them and so it doesn't go to waste. It's simple.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep Brandi, you are right, it is about helping out those that need the meat and maybe even get a chance to hunt.

If I am going back thru OKC to home then I can actually haul them to where ever along west I-40 and North I-35.

I also have a friend who lives up here by me that traps hogs and leaves them, I will see if he will give me a call when he has them so we can maybe pick them up then call whoever wants them.

As for cleaning them, these things are exactly like cleaning a deer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a similar situation with venison.
I hunt on a DMAP where we have to remove does.
At the start of season, I have a list of folks that tell me they want some.
The deal is, I kill it, drag it in, field dress it, rain, snow, gloom of night, etc, and deliver it to a local processor. They are then responsible to call, tell them how its to be processed and pick it up in a timely fashion.
At the top of the list are those that are consistant every year getting their venison picked up, etc. I don't make a dime from this.

The bottom of the list is always changing with folks that say they want one, and never show up to claim it, make excuses why they can't be there when they are supposed to, and so on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Dennis, have you been below Kaw in the last few days?? Fishin is getting good. Supposed to ramp up the discharge maybe monday.

I crossed the river tonight on my way home. They have it opened up really high. All sandbars are under water. Haven't seen that in a few years.

Lake level at 2300 hours is 1019.53. 9 feet over normal pool. I know they want to draw it down to plant the millet for fall ducks. Maybe they will kick some gates open on Monday. I think they have just been using the hydro for the extra flows to date.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told by the lake manager yesterday that there is a good chance on monday that the discharge will go from around 13,000 to 23,000 so the lake level can be dropped for the millet seeding.

Should make the fishing swing up good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told by the lake manager yesterday that there is a good chance on monday that the discharge will go from around 13,000 to 23,000 so the lake level can be dropped for the millet seeding.

Should make the fishing swing up good.

I crossed the river twice today, and its still coming up. They must be doing a gradual increase. I haven't called to see what the flow rate is. Paper had it listed as 9.6' high yesterday.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a similar situation with venison.
I hunt on a DMAP where we have to remove does.
At the start of season, I have a list of folks that tell me they want some.
The deal is, I kill it, drag it in, field dress it, rain, snow, gloom of night, etc, and deliver it to a local processor. They are then responsible to call, tell them how its to be processed and pick it up in a timely fashion.
At the top of the list are those that are consistant every year getting their venison picked up, etc. I don't make a dime from this.

The bottom of the list is always changing with folks that say they want one, and never show up to claim it, make excuses why they can't be there when they are supposed to, and so on.

I got to go on a DMAP hunt once before got a big doe. Made me sick to see how some of the ranches in the same area were killing all of these deer and dumping them into a pile, there had to be at least 30 does all heaped up. One of the biologists who was part of the count team said that, unfortunately, it happens quite often because the landowners don't want to deal with the hassle of gutting them and delivering them to the donation programs. I asked why they didn't at least donate at least part of them and he just shrugged and said it could be done but that's just the way they do it and he had no control over what they did with the culled deer. I imagine if they had talked to the local donation places beforehand they could have arranged for at least some of that meat to be used but they can do whatever they like on their property.

I was fortunate that one of the largest landowners actually had a crew of people that were allowed to hunt and use up the DMAP tags and each one of those people was allowed one guest to hunt with them. So I can at least say that two does that day didn't go to waste. I much prefer venison over beef, yum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom