Freakin pigs are back!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just takes a couple minutes to quarter one up - most will go in a 48 qt ice chest quartered - keep a hack saw handy.

true.

Went on a cow elk hunt in NM back in 2004. My grandpa and I each took a cow. We quartered them both and think we hauled them in 5 ice chests back home. Just normal sized ones at that. all we did was keep ice on them.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I know what it takes to quarter hogs, elk and deer. I am just saying I won't do all the work for free. Likewise, a friend of mine pays me $50.00 for quartered hogs. I still can't make a 175 mile roundtrip drive to OKC to deliver 1 quartered hog. He realizes that and I freeze quarters until I can bring up at least 3.

I have land payment, loss of production from hog damage, baiting and fuel expenses. To top all of that off, last September I had 1500 dollars worth of stands, cameras etc. stolen. Call me bitter, *******, or whatever you choose, because I don't just open the gate to anybody and everybody to come hunt hogs. There is not some "professional" hunter that is going to be able to solve the hog problem by hunting them a couple times a week. I have found the best method to remove high numbers of hogs at once is a pen style trap and catch the whole sounder (herd of hogs). Helicopters work great, but are too expensive for most private individuals.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting that you quarter for them - they could just be ready w/ice chest, knife and hacksaw. (point being to let recipient do the work)
I'm not speaking for myself, but those that want hogs might benifit from knowing when you're gonna be running traps/hunting, so they could plan a road trip towards you.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I know what it takes to quarter hogs, elk and deer. I am just saying I won't do all the work for free. Likewise, a friend of mine pays me $50.00 for quartered hogs. I still can't make a 175 mile roundtrip drive to OKC to deliver 1 quartered hog. He realizes that and I freeze quarters until I can bring up at least 3.

I have land payment, loss of production from hog damage, baiting and fuel expenses. To top all of that off, last September I had 1500 dollars worth of stands, cameras etc. stolen. Call me bitter, *******, or whatever you choose, because I don't just open the gate to anybody and everybody to come hunt hogs. There is not some "professional" hunter that is going to be able to solve the hog problem by hunting them a couple times a week. I have found the best method to remove high numbers of hogs at once is a pen style trap and catch the whole sounder (herd of hogs). Helicopters work great, but are too expensive for most private individuals.

Bitter *******

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This would be for the people getting the meat to do the work, I agree that having to butcher them would take a lot of effort. I would be able to maybe quarter them if the timing was right and have them cooking in the freezer until someone could pick them up.
But, however we do this will have to be up to the individual on what they do with them.
Sounds like we have good interest in this, maybe the admin can make a sticky for a list so people to put their names on.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This would be for the people getting the meat to do the work, I agree that having to butcher them would take a lot of effort. I would be able to maybe quarter them if the timing was right and have them cooking in the freezer until someone could pick them up.
But, however we do this will have to be up to the individual on what they do with them.
Sounds like we have good interest in this, maybe the admin can make a sticky for a list so people to put their names on.

I've never butchered a pig (only deer), but I'll volunteer to help. I've got plenty of good knives that need some work. Show me how to do the first one, and I'll hack away. I'll help you shoot 'em, cut 'em, I can drive meat back to OKC with me, I can bring a helper, whatever you want. (I'm itching to get out of the house too if you can't tell!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom