G17 or G45 and what Gen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plan on getting my son a pistol for his 21st birthday coming up this Summer. Been to the range several times for him to rent many pistols. His favorite was the G17. So, I have several questions I'm sure yall can answer for me.

Is there a better Gen G17 I should look at. Seems lots of people like the Gen3 over the others but is there that much of a difference other than the Gen3 finger grooves?

Also, is there a reason to look at the G45 over the G17 other than the physical dimensions of the G45 being a tad smaller? Each seem to have their benefits and is it just personal preference?

Thanks for the help.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I much prefer the Gen 5 Glocks. Just like the texture better, they seem more accurate and the double stack 9s will all take the Glock performance trigger. Gen 4s probably will too, but last I checked it was Gen 5 only for the factory trigger upgrade which is very worthwhile.

ETA: On the G45. Not really. They are essentially identical except for barrel/slide length. The G45 is probably the "best" Glock model made overall. All the good things of the 17 and the 19 in one model. And if you decide on a 17, get the 47 instead. Parts compatibility with the 17, 19 and 45, plus it's MOS if he wants to put an optic on it. It replaces the 17 MOS.

Last edited:

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my Glock 47 (or a 17 if you choose it) but in a Nomad frame. Pretty good barrel, trigger is acceptable but you know, its a glock! Either way, it will be good.

Attachments

• IMG_9078.jpeg
    IMG_9078.jpeg
    1.3 MB

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I much prefer the Gen 5 Glocks. Just like the texture better, they seem more accurate and the double stack 9s will all take the Glock performance trigger. Gen 4s probably will too, but last I checked it was Gen 5 only for the factory trigger upgrade which is very worthwhile.

ETA: On the G45. Not really. They are essentially identical except for barrel/slide length. The G45 is probably the "best" Glock model made overall. All the good things of the 17 and the 19 in one model. And if you decide on a 17, get the 47 instead. Parts compatibility with the 17, 19 and 45, plus it's MOS if he wants to put an optic on it. It replaces the 17 MOS.
Thanks @Shadowrider. I didn't know the G47 existed until you mentioned it. Looks like that's the direction I;m going to go with his pistol. Want the MOS so he has that option if he chooses down the line. Now jsut gotta find the best place to buy one. Appreciate the knowledge.

j99tc88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a g49, think it’s a 19 frame and 17 slide, gen 5 and 100 bucks for the better trigger. Shoots amazing. Big boy guns had them. It was also the mos version.

Latest posts

Top Bottom