getting serious with .22's???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PW4098 produces 78,400 hp
avisinoni.com_127900_wp_content_gallery_amsterdam_schiphol_august_19_2010_pw4098_777_klm.gif

An adult African Elephant's bladder has a capacity of about 12 gallons
awww.crazydribble.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_01_pissing_elephant.jpg

Edit: Oh, and my dad can beat up your dad.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and a supra with the same 2jz making 1600hp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeSM5MZFho&feature=fvst

1600 hp mazda rotary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGGBU2Lpyo

another 1600 hp straight 6 - rb26det
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGGBU2Lpyo

4 cylinders will get there also....

I think everyone missed the $ for $ part. They will never catch up. Anyway I made the original comment as a point of comparison, not conversation. I was saying that if you want to be the most accurate then start with the greatest asset for your goals. A 4 cyl. not being the most conducive to making HP I was not wrong.

I dig the occasional rotary though!!! Too damn cool!
Sooooo anyway.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The website you need to check out is www.rimfirecentral.com

I'm a guy that likes to target shoot with .22's, and have been down this road. To start with, you're asking a lot for 100 or 200 yards out of a .22 LR. 50 yards is more reasonable.

A 10/22, Marlin 60, etc... won't have the accuracy to make it worthwhile. A Savage MKII is the way to go cheap, but you would be better off starting out with at least a CZ. Look at a 452, or 453 to get the set trigger. For a scope, you want the 452 American, or 453 American or Varmint. If you want to play with iron sights, look at the 452 trainer, lux, ultra lux, or FS (with the Mannlicher stock.) Price is going to be in the $400 - $500 range.

Next level would be a Kimber 82G from CMP (www.odcmp.com). They have a "rusty" version for $400, or the regular one for $600.

Next comes 64 action Anschutz, then 54 action Anschutz. Finally, Cooper. You're going to start at $700, and can spend over $2000 easily.

The CZ is amazingly accurate. The Kimber is a dedicated target rifle (it weighs 10 lbs and the barrel is the same diameter as a quarter). The Anschutz and Coopers are premium - ultra premium .22's that will be marginally more accurate than the CZ or Kimber.

For ammo - Wolf Match or Extra Match, SK, and RWS will be your best bang for the buck. Around $40-75 per brick. You can spend more on high end Eley or Lapua. Save the Wal-Mart bulk Federal for squirrel hunting, because it doesn't have the consistency for target shooting. Note that target ammo is standard velocity, where bulk packs are high velocity.

Here's a 10 round group (using bags on a bench) from my Kimber 82G at 50 yards. The squares are 1". No way my Marlin 39 will do anything like that.

ai200.photobucket.com_albums_aa163_roomdog_DSC_0068.jpg

Good thing there was only a slight breeze that day. ;)

ai200.photobucket.com_albums_aa163_roomdog_DSC_0057.jpg

My son and I like shooting these miniature sniper targets. Points for the bad guy, and points deducted for hitting the good guy. The head is about the size of a fingernail.

ai200.photobucket.com_albums_aa163_roomdog_DSC_0070.jpg

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy having a .22 that simulates my main battle rifle (an M1A). I have a Ruger 10/22, to which I've added Tech Sights, sling studs, 1 1/4" swivels, and a GI web sling. I got the Volquartsen target hammer/auto bolt release when it was on sale from Midway, too, which really improved it.

The Tech Sights are aperture sights that use M-16A1 sight parts, and give the rifle pretty much the same sight picture as my M1A. Plus it gives you click-adjustable sights with a decent sight radius instead of the worthless notch sights the rifle comes with from the factory. Pretty neat. This also serves as a "Liberty Training Rifle" that I loan out on the Appleseed trail. It has made it's share of Riflemen on the 25 meter Army Qualification Test. I have another 10/22 that is set up just like it, but with a scope.

I'm thinking for my next LTR I'll go with a Marlin 795. They're only $100 after the factory rebate, and they already come with sling studs. They have a better trigger than the Ruger, too.

I am putting together an AR, and I think I'll get a dedicated .22 upper for it so I can practice cheaply on it, as well.

I also just acquired a CZ-452 bolt action, and let me tell you, that is one sweet rifle. The trigger is just perfect, and it is adjustable from the factory. It comes all set up with sling studs, so it was easy to mount a marksman's sling. Now that they make Tech Sights for the CZ, I think I'll make it a bolt-action LTR. Maybe even take it to some smallbore matches.

Thanks for the input man. I am not much of a Ruger fan, but the 10/22 is an amazing rifle. It seems that over and over again they can do no wrong. As it seems with yours I am more interested in iron sights. Anyone can drill a target with a scope from a rested position.
I just sold my AR with the 22LR conversion. I loved that thing! It was more fun than shooting .223 out of it. It was as accurate as expected and I never had a hang up with it.

I am thinking that I am going into the market for a magazine fed bolt action. I have my single shot that is absolutely ridiculous. It's a boys rifle that I have had since I was 6. Our family owning a prototype machine shop, you can imagine the work that was done to it. My dad is a relentless tinkerer and gun enthusiast. To date I can't find any .22 that shoots better than this thing! I do however have to little patients I guess. The single shot thing bothers me.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The website you need to check out is www.rimfirecentral.com

I'm a guy that likes to target shoot with .22's, and have been down this road. To start with, you're asking a lot for 100 or 200 yards out of a .22 LR. 50 yards is more reasonable.

A 10/22, Marlin 60, etc... won't have the accuracy to make it worthwhile. A Savage MKII is the way to go cheap, but you would be better off starting out with at least a CZ. Look at a 452, or 453 to get the set trigger. For a scope, you want the 452 American, or 453 American or Varmint. If you want to play with iron sights, look at the 452 trainer, lux, ultra lux, or FS (with the Mannlicher stock.) Price is going to be in the $400 - $500 range.

Next level would be a Kimber 82G from CMP (www.odcmp.com). They have a "rusty" version for $400, or the regular one for $600.

Next comes 64 action Anschutz, then 54 action Anschutz. Finally, Cooper. You're going to start at $700, and can spend over $2000 easily.

The CZ is amazingly accurate. The Kimber is a dedicated target rifle (it weighs 10 lbs and the barrel is the same diameter as a quarter). The Anschutz and Coopers are premium - ultra premium .22's that will be marginally more accurate than the CZ or Kimber.

For ammo - Wolf Match or Extra Match, SK, and RWS will be your best bang for the buck. Around $40-75 per brick. You can spend more on high end Eley or Lapua. Save the Wal-Mart bulk Federal for squirrel hunting, because it doesn't have the consistency for target shooting. Note that target ammo is standard velocity, where bulk packs are high velocity.

Here's a 10 round group (using bags on a bench) from my Kimber 82G at 50 yards. The squares are 1". No way my Marlin 39 will do anything like that.

ai200.photobucket.com_albums_aa163_roomdog_DSC_0068.jpg

Good thing there was only a slight breeze that day. ;)

ai200.photobucket.com_albums_aa163_roomdog_DSC_0057.jpg

My son and I like shooting these miniature sniper targets. Points for the bad guy, and points deducted for hitting the good guy. The head is about the size of a fingernail.

ai200.photobucket.com_albums_aa163_roomdog_DSC_0070.jpg

Hey man that's outstanding! I will check out the website. Thank you for the info. I get what your saying with the range distance. This is kinda the challenge for me though. don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for groups that I can cover with a nickel or a quarter, hell or a silver dollar for matter. Just a personal challenge for myself and a fun comparison of my improvements or losses. For grouping and such we usually do the 50 yard thing as well.

Thanks again for the info. and ammo input. BTW: NICE SHOT!

Latest posts

Top Bottom