God

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"How can a good, all powerful, all knowing God permit suffering?"

http://www.bethinking.org/suffering/suffering-problem

The lack of logic makes me wonder how much people are really objectively thinking in situations or considerations such as this, rather than running on emotions. In which "god" is supposedly omnipotent but yet somehow man has reasoned a set of rules in regards to "free will."

"one of the truly bad effects of religion, is that it teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding" - Richard Dawkins

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The lack of logic makes me wonder how much people are really objectively thinking in situations or considerations such as this, rather than running on emotions. In which "god" is supposedly omnipotent but yet somehow man has reasoned a set of rules in regards to "free will."

"one of the truly bad effects of religion, is that it teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding" - Richard Dawkins

Have you ever considered the fact that it is you who doesn't understand, not me? Of course not - who could fathom such a thing.

Everything i believe makes absolute perfect sense to me.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

While God is all powerful, He cannot break his promises because He is truthful. He cannot change His decision after it is made.

To use a physical example, a person standing on top of a mountain makes a decision that he will hike down without taking even one step that gains elevation. Once that person begins making his way off the mountain, the choice of routes are limited owing to his decision.

I see nothing illogical in this.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While God is all powerful, He cannot break his promises because He is truthful. He cannot change His decision after it is made.

To use a physical example, a person standing on top of a mountain makes a decision that he will hike down without taking even one step that gains elevation. Once that person begins making his way off the mountain, the choice of routes are limited owing to his decision.

I see nothing illogical in this.

That's fine, you may not see it as being illogical but it's quite simple. If he truly were omnipotent, he would be able see the mass amount of suffering before it even happened. The whole scenario would then be devoid of any logic.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever considered the fact that it is you who doesn't understand, not me? Of course not - who could fathom such a thing.

Everything i believe makes absolute perfect sense to me.

I'm sure it makes sense to you. You, like many others seem to be content on being guided by other men in terms of your spirituality. It just doesn't work for me. There's too many hypocrisies and fallacies for me accept explanations such as these as they are mental masterbation at best, because they came from man.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure it makes sense to you. You, like many others seem to be content on being guided by other men in terms of your spirituality. It just doesn't work for me. There's too many hypocrisies and fallacies for me accept explanations such as these as they are mental masterbation at best.

Who is guiding your beliefs? The information that you deem to be logical, comes from what sources?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like you are dodging the main point: As I understand it, you contend that Christianity should be rejected based on numerous evil acts by Christians and Christian churches. The same source that you cited to prove that Christianity is bad based on Christian acts of hatred toward Jews can also be used to "prove" that America is bad based on American war crimes, massacres of native peoples etc.. Many vile acts have been committed by Americans. The core beliefs of Americanism are proven to be wrong if we follow your logic. Or is it possible that the core beliefs of Christianity are true or at least "valid" and worthy of respect in spite of the bad acts of Christians past and present?

Sorry for the delay of my response.
I'm dodging nothing, and you've obviously misunderstood, show me where I said Christianity should be rejected.
The sites I posted didn't say "Christianity was based on bad acts", it showed where some of the ideas/beliefs/ideologies/attitudes, etc. that have been proven to cause these problems come from. Why is there a problem there? Don't we have to recognize where wrong acts come from to avoid them?

I'm not trying to prove America is bad and no my logic doesn't say the core beliefs are wrong. My logic says the record shows that at times those beliefs are debatable as to meaning and application, not followed, or even perverted, should we not see that and learn from that?

I have never said the core beliefs of Christianity were not valid or due respect just like anybody else's. I've tried not to insult anybody's beliefs/doctrine or lack of. But if you want to fish for opinions/beliefs on my part to discredit or dismiss my statements or questions based on history and some commonly discussed theology type questions then go ahead.

Just remember the whole point of this thread is the OP guy seeking/questioning/shopping for an answer if not path/direction/side etc. and anybody giving an opinion by the authority or under the umbrella of a specific system also have to be expectant of questions and debate regarding that system. And some would contend have a certain amount of respect for others that don't have the same belief or the exact same interpretation/understanding/experience etc. of that belief.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's fine, you may not see it as being illogical but it's quite simple. If he truly were omnipotent, he would be able see the mass amount of suffering before it even happened. The whole scenario would then be devoid of any logic.

He is omniscient. He saw the total amount of suffering when man first sinned. That is why He was angry in the garden of eden.

Certainly it is noble to attempt to reduce suffering. But it is not logical that the very highest purpose should be to eliminate suffering. That is your subjective judgement. You might look into how different cultures view suffering and how philosophers view suffering. When I was in south Asia one of the perplexing sayings that stuck with me was, "Pain and happiness are one".

Latest posts

Top Bottom