God

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a common theme. It's the Jesse Ventura philosophy. There're a number of guys here who are like that... anyone who believes in a higher power is a moron, clinging to archaic mysticism, etc. Truly modern, enlightened and intelligent people who believe in science would never believe in a higher power....

Although they are often ok with believing a mass of matter exploded and brought everything into existence. and a bunch of primordial ooze became sentient, intelligent life.

It's all good... we're free to believe what we want, or purport that we believe nothing. But whatever man... the thinly-veiled sarcasm and needling (not in a humorous way, as some would have you believe, it's more in a condescending way) get old, but hey.... no one promised an easy road - only a destination, right?

OK, now I've seen someone ridicule another.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a common theme. It's the Jesse Ventura philosophy. There're a number of guys here who are like that... anyone who believes in a higher power is a moron, clinging to archaic mysticism, etc. Truly modern, enlightened and intelligent people who believe in science would never believe in a higher power....

Although they are often ok with believing a mass of matter exploded and brought everything into existence. and a bunch of primordial ooze became sentient, intelligent life.

It's all good... we're free to believe what we want, or purport that we believe nothing. But whatever man... the thinly-veiled sarcasm and needling (not in a humorous way, as some would have you believe, it's more in a condescending way) get old, but hey.... no one promised an easy road - only a destination, right?

Why is it so hard for religious people to discuss religion and not get offended? I'm asking serious questions.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean when you give them the tools to do better, teach them better and then give them the freedom to be their own person and they go out and live a bad lifestyle that causes them pain and problems?

Yes... yes, we can. And we do. All the time.

No, I'm saying can you watch murder, torture, rape....the worst of all evils and do nothing, and be all loving? That's why I don't believe in God. Is it possible for me to be more loving than God?

blazeitornot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Condescension, dismissive nonsense and thread derailing comments are the language of the internet. Just don't get annoyed by it and say a swear word. BANNED!

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it so hard for religious people to discuss religion and not get offended? I'm asking serious questions.

I wish we could discuss it without getting all tweaked out. I'm a Christian...i was raised "to believe" in God, and Jesus...but there was a time in my life that i had to decide for myself what i believed in. Part of that time was when i was young and was being baptized. The youth minister that was guiding me was serious about it being MY decision and something i was doing because I BELIEVED and not because it was the "thing to do" or because my parents wanted me to. (My parents were of the same thoughts...it had to be MY decision). I appreciated that very much, and yes, it was My decision, and i did believe with all my heart...and still do.

Yes...i believe 100% in God and that Jesus was sent to save us. Can i point to a rock and prove that God exists by studying that rock? No. But i have seen things happen both physical and spiritual in my life and in others lives that have no other explanation other than there was a higher power there...and in my heart, that higher power is God...the ONLY God as far as I'm concerned.

Do i have friends that aren't believers? Yes...i wish they ALL would, but all i can do is be an example, let them in some way see the light in me, and the peace in my heart because i DO believe, try to teach them if they are willing and love them. I can plant the seed...I can't tie them to a tree, smack them with the Bible and MAKE them believe...nor would i want to...but i can Love'm. : ) Is life all puppy dogs and butterfly's...NOOOO...but it's easier to deal with knowing that I'm covered and i am what i am! When you profess your belief does your bank account automatically get full and your truck get a new paint job?...LOL Of course not. But there is a difference in your heart and life...for the better.

Am i perfect? Oh Lord no...not even close. I'm awful at times and I wish i would be a better "role model" but i am what i am, and i have to believe that God guides me and does indeed have a plan that i don't know, and don't really need to know. i do Try to be better though and I'm happy...i'm content...and i owe everything i have and am to God and Jesus...and i'm good with that : )

Faith, Love and Grace.... To me that's what it's all about.

blazeitornot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe in nature. I don't think mankind is supposed to cut down the Earth to build cookie cutter neighborhoods. And if God does exist, I don't think he'd like it either.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish we could discuss it without getting all tweaked out. I'm a Christian...i was raised "to believe" in God, and Jesus...but there was a time in my life that i had to decide for myself what i believed in. Part of that time was when i was young and was being baptized. The youth minister that was guiding me was serious about it being MY decision and something i was doing because I BELIEVED and not because it was the "thing to do" or because my parents wanted me to. (My parents were of the same thoughts...it had to be MY decision). I appreciated that very much, and yes, it was My decision, and i did believe with all my heart...and still do.

Yes...i believe 100% in God and that Jesus was sent to save us. Can i point to a rock and prove that God exists by studying that rock? No. But i have seen things happen both physical and spiritual in my life and in others lives that have no other explanation other than there was a higher power there...and in my heart, that higher power is God...the ONLY God as far as I'm concerned.

Do i have friends that aren't believers? Yes...i wish they ALL would, but all i can do is be an example, let them in some way see the light in me, and the peace in my heart because i DO believe, try to teach them if they are willing and love them. I can plant the seed...I can't tie them to a tree, smack them with the Bible and MAKE them believe...nor would i want to...but i can Love'm. : ) Is life all puppy dogs and butterfly's...NOOOO...but it's easier to deal with knowing that I'm covered and i am what i am! When you profess your belief does your bank account automatically get full and your truck get a new paint job?...LOL Of course not. But there is a difference in your heart and life...for the better.

Am i perfect? Oh Lord no...not even close. I'm awful at times and I wish i would be a better "role model" but i am what i am, and i have to believe that God guides me and does indeed have a plan that i don't know, and don't really need to know. i do Try to be better though and I'm happy...i'm content...and i owe everything i have and am to God and Jesus...and i'm good with that : )

Faith, Love and Grace.... To me that's what it's all about.

I understand what you're saying about God has a plan. I've had times in my life that I thought couldn't have been planned any better if I tried. I have believed in God in my life. Heck, I've been on what I thought was my death bed and prayed for God not to take me from my family. I've read the bible and saw God in everything. I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life now, and I don't believe in God. I can't. Too much hatred. I'd love to believe in an all loving God, but I have no way of rationalizing that anymore....absolutely none. It seems like these days I try to find reasons not to believe and it's EASY. I was serious when I said earlier, how can I be more loving than God. There is way too much suffering, hate, brutality and evil in this world for me to believe that we have a loving God. That's why I asked why others believe. I appreciate your sincere response.

We had the discussion in another thread about the clerk that wouldn't sign marriage licenses for gay couples because of her religion. I have to ask myself, If I had a gay child would I treat them badly? No I wouldn't. Nor would I let anyone else treat them badly. I would love them, because they are my child. Again, am I more loving than God? Could I send them to hell? Of course not. Doesn't make any sense to me. So why would anyone want to believe in something so full of hatred?

Last edited:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Whoa there cowboy. Aren't you some sort of scientist or doctor or something. How could a highly educated person such as yourself who has held life and death in his hand believe in a higher power?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It seems to me like anyone that asks these kinds of questions is almost perceived as the devil or the antichrist. Is it possible to have these discussions without people getting their feelings hurt or being all defensive?

Absolutely. You know what I believe from other threads, as I do you and others. I respect what others believe even if differs from me. Not respecting where others are at in there beliefs is where the "greater than thou" image comes from that so many associate with Christians.

Latest posts

Top Bottom