Gun safes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went for the electronic lock safe myself. All safes can be hacked including the mechanical ones. There is a video of a guy out there with a HUGE magnet that he uses to unlock safes. It's a deterrent to keep the average thug out but also allow you to access it when you need to and preferably as fast as possible. I can get into mine in about five seconds from a dead stop. How long does it take to get into a manual one.... And some of the small safes including the manual ones can be defeated with a screwdriver and a twist of the wrist or some bare hands as the doors or cases are flimsy enough to tweak the lock and pop it open. No matter the safe it should be secured to the floor and/or wall with hardware that is difficult to defeat. Mounting a safe into a concrete floor in a garage with bolts that can be pulled out or broken when the safe is backed into isn't going to do much good when the thugs open the door to the garage and back in with a truck.

Also the electronic safes generally come with a key as a backup. I have one that was sent about 1000 miles away so a family member can access without searching or hiring a smith to do it should something happen to my wife and I and the other would be a HUGE PITA to find unless you knew where it was to begin with.

I do have to agree that the safes are made for nothing more than a 22 or an air rifle. Get a couple decked out AR's and that 18 gun safe is a four gun safe. I am about to the point where I am going to strip the shelving out of mine and build it right and get rid of the extra notches for all the rifles to rest on that do not work anyway. Also want to add some door storage for pistols since the shelves end up with other stuff and add some lights.

And remember a safe does NO GOOD if you don't lock the door. Heard a few tales of thieves making off with stuff because the lock wasn't turned or the door was left open.

A final thought: A lock only keeps an honest person honest. A safe just makes it take longer to get to something you don't want the dishonest person to get to.

I have thought of removing notched insert and making my own "rifle rods" to support the guns and make more space.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Often said (but rarely listened to): Buy more safe capacity than you think you will ever need. This will save you money in the long run because (1) you won't have to sell your old safe at less than you paid for it in order to buy a bigger, more expensive safe later on, or (2) you won't have to buy a second safe when you--inevitably--out grow your first one.
Best advice on the thread.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer several smaller safes scattered around the house instead of 1 big one, that way it take theifs longer to get everything.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my safe last year right before Christmas. Mine is from Armor Vault, and a bonus is it is made in Oklahoma City. They came out and delivered it and bolted it down for me.

I wish I had gone a bit bigger with more shelves, but was fighting the space issue because of location. Mine does not have an electronic lock, and has two locks with recessed hinges. I am quite happy with mine otherwise. Holds all the important papers and my small collection of firearms, with room to grow. The set up of mine allows for close to the 33 gun capacity with some finagling of shotguns.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got two liberties a fat boy that has the accessories panel on the door for pistols and a few other pockets. And another smaller one. We just bought one for my mother in law for Christmas from sams club. It was a stack on one of their premium models with the storage panel on the door for 600 bucks. I'm not a fan of the electronic keypad lock either. This one uses a key if the battery fails etc. good safe for the price. Buy the bigger than you ever think you'll need !! So much more than guns are in mine. The binos spotting scope pictures the wife's jewelry take up space in mine. I'm considering buying another of the sams ones for my optics kestrel and pack. There's several thousand dollars in gear that gets tossed in my gear room be a cheaper option to deter a thief.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom