Guntalk : U.S. Government Trying to take away your pocket knives.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the knife confiscators come for my knives, they may have my knives when they extract them from their stab wounds.

Some people seem to forget that knives are arms.

Woody

Prior to 911 I traveled a lot on the airlines, always carrying Buck Stockman. Always showed it at check in and so on.
No problem.
After 911 I traveled with the company alot, and on my first flight I carried a small 2 bladed Buck knife that my grandfather had given to me. The security lady told me that I couldn't carry it when at check-in. I was really PO'D but asked what could I do to keep the knife as it was an heirloom to me. (now they have the boxed to mail them back)

Se said nothing could be done. I asked what happens to the knife? She said the knife went to a collection center for sale to the public.:angry3::angry3:

Her eyes were wide open when I opened both blades, and stepped on them to snap off the blades. Calmly put them in the tub, and said KMA.:angry3:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prior to 911 I traveled a lot on the airlines, always carrying Buck Stockman. Always showed it at check in and so on.
No problem.
After 911 I traveled with the company alot, and on my first flight I carried a small 2 bladed Buck knife that my grandfather had given to me. The security lady told me that I couldn't carry it when at check-in. I was really PO'D but asked what could I do to keep the knife as it was an heirloom to me. (now they have the boxed to mail them back)

Se said nothing could be done. I asked what happens to the knife? She said the knife went to a collection center for sale to the public.:angry3::angry3:

Her eyes were wide open when I opened both blades, and stepped on them to snap off the blades. Calmly put them in the tub, and said KMA.:angry3:

You couldn't even carry a bladeless knife on? I mean it's no longer a knife! I ask because I'm betting that you could have had Buck replace the blades. At least you still would have part of the heirloom that was original.

But good for you on the quick thinking. I've seen some of the "confiscated" knives for sale on eGay. Piles of them that someone just brought home to make some easy bucks on. :pissed:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I agree that any ruling against knives on the federal level is bad ju,ju. But can someone explain to me how a U.S. Customs & Border Protection ruling can effect knive possession anywhere other than border crossings and customs stations?

FWIW, I had in my possession a letter form the Tulsa Co. DA's Office stating that "assisted opening" knives were illegal under O.S. 21-1272 and directed officers to cite or arrest on them. Some time after that, they decided that they weren't illegal and would no longer accept cases on them.

Unless they have changed the State Law, thats the same info that I had. Carrying is a Felony for switchblades and assisted opening. It's one of those laws that isn't really enforced.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it....a switchblade which is against the law in Okla and other states opens by the blade coming out of the handle in a straight line. It doesn't make an arc like a normal knife to open.
A knife that has an assisted opener that opens in an arc like a standard knife is not recognised as a "switch blade".
I may be totally off base, but that is how the knife dealers at gun shows justify an "assisted opening."

No. O.S. 21-1272: It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed...

You are allowed to own a switchblade, but you are not allowed to carry one. Knife dealers at the gun shows are terrible sources for legal information. How do you get the otherwise legal knife to your home? You carry it, where it's illegal. Catch-22 it may be, but it matters not if you're stopped by a LEO.

Where the assisted opening knives skate legally is that the "button" you push is on the blade, not the handle. It doesn't surprise me that they're trying to close this "loophole". While I don't own an assisted opening knife, nor do I plan to, I hope they remain legal. This type of knife has become a staple for many average working folks. What's the difference between one of these and a knife with a thumb stud that you can open one handed, or with the flick of a wrist? Not much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom