H&H Gunsmith - check work before you leave

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go to the range, at H/H depending where I'm staying. This week, I'm in Bricktown till Friday, and considered going because it's close. Not a fan of a few of the employees but some of them are nice. May just choose to go to Big Boys

Wilshire is a bit further and I think the range is cleaner. So far the folks have been nice.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay the smith mucked up the installation of the front sight. The Op doesn't check the work for a couple of months. Comes on the forum to let everyone know.

Is that the end of the story? Did he get in touch with H&H to fix the problem? If so, did they offer to fix it or did they tell him to pound sand? I don't have a problem with him calling out H&H but he would have been better served letting the offender try to make it right before he calls them out on the forum.

GA Precision messed up my custom build years ago but I didn't run to SnipersHide crying about it. I got in touch with George and had a FedEx label the same day and they fixed it with no charge to me. Had the rifle back in one week.

Just give the offender a chance to make it right before you bust their balls on a forum. If the Op did and they didn't...by all means let everyone know.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dawson.jpg

Dawson front sights are easier to put on backwards than probably any other front sight. Unless you've had one in your hands don't be so quick to judge. The only difference between the front and rear facing side are the anti-glare serrations which are more texture-like than actual grooves. Some have a small angle, some don't. You could melt the fiber either way. The oval hole in the slot is an oval so that works either way. I could totally see this happening even by a smith that usually does good work.

Not giving the installer a pass, just saying I can see how it could happen.

Last edited:

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dS.JPG

This is an old one off my 34 and it has an angle that's pretty easy to figure out, not all do. Blown up huge it's easy to see the front from the back. I think they all have that tiny one on the front. Not sure.

I didn't say I was giving the smith a pass. Of course putting on backwards is sloppy and unacceptable work but make it tiny again or misplace your glasses and I could see how the mistake could be made.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 116218

This is an old one off my 34 and it has an angle that's pretty easy to figure out, not all do. Blown up huge it's easy to see the front from the back. I think they all have that tiny one on the front. Not sure.

I didn't say I was giving the smith a pass. Of course putting on backwards is sloppy and unacceptable work but make it tiny again or misplace your glasses and I could see how the mistake could be made.
understand what youre saying about the smith but Ive installed literally hundreds and hundreds of dawsons on all kinds of guns and they are all, at the very least, as understandable as the one in your photo up there.

but we're really just splitting hairs, slow day here i guess.