Had my first H&H burger today....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd heard they did good burgers, so I decided to swing in. Also seems like I thought there was going to be some eye-candy there. Maybe I misunderstood that part, because there wasn't.

As for the burger, well, it was huge. I ordered the special onion burger. I ordered it as a double, because... well... I was hungry. And most places I can pull that off. Not so much here. I actually ended up throwing away about 2/3 of it, but not because I couldn't eat it all. The fresh-cut fries were pretty good.

The onions... well, they were almost tasteless, and they were mush. I mean complete and total mush. I realized why later, when I happened to glance back in the kitchen and saw a big clear plastic container full of cooked onions. I mean like a half-gallon size. So I guess they make a bunch of 'em up, sit them aside and let them... ripen? Soften? Just sit and stew for hours in their own juices? I dunno, but they were mush and pretty flavorless, except for....

THE BLACK PEPPER! Holy cripes, my burger was SO DAMN peppery that was why I couldn't eat it. Is this normal for them? Do they specialize in the "Black Pepper Overcooked Onion Burger"? Now, I like seasoned food, I like hot spicy food, but my God, the pepper flavor was so overpowering I couldn't taste anything else. I dunno, maybe the cook accidentally spilled the pepper shaker on my burger? Or is this what everyone else loves about the place? Because I couldn't do it. I had to toss it.

I'll give them another try sometime... it actually seemed like it would be a pretty good burger, sans the pepper and the onions. And as I said, I liked the fries. So some other time when I'm in the city I'll stop in and tell them to hold those things. I'm not complaining, just sharing my experience. Now the onion burger I had at HD's Onion Burgers and Gyros on Rockwell Friday night was pretty good. Interesting joint. lol

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with their burgers have been good. I don't eat onions cause they don't like me. Never had any problems with pepper and their fries remind me of eating at Big Ed's back in the day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly so. I don't get to OKC often to shop, only to shoot matches at Arcadia. Just happened to stop in.
It seems to be pretty popular with a lot of folks though from what I've read on this forum.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibly so. I don't get to OKC often to shop, only to shoot matches at Arcadia. Just happened to stop in.
It seems to be pretty popular with a lot of folks though from what I've read on this forum.

That's true. Like my Grandpa used to say when folks asked him why his brother married such an ugly woman, "There's no accounting for taste ..." :P

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience with their burgers have been good. I don't eat onions cause they don't like me. Never had any problems with pepper and their fries remind me of eating at Big Ed's back in the day.

I miss big eds! They had the giant burger! Moved away from OKC when I was 6, they closed before I moved back 12 years later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom