HB 3354 - Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this guy is an example of retired - or active - state troopers, we're in a heap of hurt. I grew up being taught to admire and respect LEOs, but when you find out they look at we peons as "cowards," it makes you wonder. I respect differing opinions regarding open carry, but to attribute cowardice to those who support the position is uncalled for. And Smithson has made darned sure folks know he is a former trooper, so his comments are NOT separated from his former profession.

I'd think every LEO who doesn't feel that way would want to stand up and publicly disagree with Smithson, especially any who frequent these boards. I know in my own former profession, it was imperative that we stand for respectful behavior by "our own," and occasionally had to offer public chastisement for those who jumped the fence, so to speak. Peer pressure is very effective.

To paraphrase former Union Army General Carl Shurz,
My (profession,) right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

What say ye, LEOs?

If I took the time to send an email or letter to every cop I disagreed with, that's all I'd be doing all day.

It's no secret that I'm not a supporter of open carry, but if I felt his statement was a big deal, I'd email him.

Personally I think he simply isn't that articulate. He seems to be expressing the same thing that several, including myself, have stated on this board i.e. that I believe that some will open carry simply to play tough guy (i.e. Badgebunny's Billy Bad-Ass theory) and I believe that is a poor rationale for carrying a gun.

That said, I don't think desiring open carry necessarily makes anyone a coward. I don't have any reason to believe that the majority of those who favor open carry do so to compensate for personal insecurities though and IMO this is not the reason that I disagree with open carry.

I think Smithson is simply not that articulate and given how many politicians have been guilty of that in Oklahoma, I do not hold that against him except to occasionally make fun of troopers.:wink2:

Michael Brown

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I took the time to send an email or letter to every cop I disagreed with, that's all I'd be doing all day.

It's no secret that I'm not a supporter of open carry, but if I felt his statement was a big deal, I'd email him.

Personally I think he simply isn't that articulate. He seems to be expressing the same thing that several, including myself, have stated on this board i.e. that I believe that some will open carry simply to play tough guy (i.e. Badgebunny's Billy Bad-Ass theory) and I believe that is a poor rationale for carrying a gun.

That said, I don't think desiring open carry necessarily makes anyone a coward. I don't have any reason to believe that the majority of those who favor open carry do so to compensate for personal insecurities though and IMO this is not the reason that I disagree with open carry.

I think Smithson is simply not that articulate and given how many politicians have been guilty of that in Oklahoma, I do not hold that against him except to occasionally make fun of troopers.:wink2:

Michael Brown
Good words, good words. Reasoned and well articulated.

SOme of the older revolver and leather holster cops can remember when troopers were hired by the pound and not by the brian size...........:hypnotize:

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd think every LEO who doesn't feel that way would want to stand up and publicly disagree with Smithson, especially any who frequent these boards. I know in my own former profession, it was imperative that we stand for respectful behavior by "our own," and occasionally had to offer public chastisement for those who jumped the fence, so to speak. Peer pressure is very effective.
but you forget Today we live in the"everybody gets a trophy"era,even if you suck and come in last.You're still special little billy you're just differently excellent:hypnotize:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I'm surly not one that can answer all your questions according the the law books.

But I know several people that do OC on there own property. I would assume its legal as the folks working at H&H guns in OKC open carry there. If OCing on private propery wasn't legal you would think someone would have put a stop to it there long ago given the number of people that go in and out of there each day.

Carrying a firearm in a manner not expressly permitted by law outside of your home is illegal according to Pierce v. State (1929).

So no, you cannot carry a firearm openly or concealed on your property outside your home unless expressly permitted by law.

arkieron

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Texas will have to get it first. However, you guys almost made it. I can't believe they didn't have the fortitude to over ride Henry's veto. Arkansas won't ever come as close as you did......unless Texas puts it in place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom