Help in picking a good AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool, I'll bring you a couple cigars if you're interested. If I had some good beer I'd offer you that. Just got some 6 point Coors Light, a sixer of fat tire and some shiner bock (all from TX).

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a 15 hour drive I am now two miles from Mexico and 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. I'm going to offer up a few points for your consideration before I sack out.

Glocktogo has a very valid point, Mil Spec means parts will fit, for the most part, although at no point was a spec made for the mag well so even in "High End Super Mil Spec Rifles" you can find ones that won't accept certain magazines, and there is such a variance in the tri-burts mechainisms that many of those parts won't interchange and have to be mixed and matched...( although that may have been corrected by now but just a few short years back it plagued armorers.

"Milspec" involves a lot more stuff than just making sure the parts all fit together. Prime example would be the difference between commercial receiver extensions and milspec receiver extensions. According to the spec the parts are actually to be of aluminum that is forged and then machined (I believe the materiel is 7075.). The 'commercial' receiver extensions are typically extrusions of a softer aluminum, therefore they need to be thicker to get the same amount of strength out of the part. According to some I've heard the thickness of the commercial receiver extensions makes them superior as if packing more of an inferior material in an area can somehow mask it's inferiority.

This is also a common difference with charging handles. IE- milspec = forged vs commercial = extrusion. All parts are not the same.

CAR-AR-M16 is right that they are a set means of testing and a cetain level of standard, and in general a good one, and some times not so good...IE. Bradly armour meets a Mil Spec...hmmm, MREs meet a mil spec...Lunch anyone (now I myself don't find them that bad, but some do). Some foot powder meets Mil Spec, but there are many out there that are better. There are Mil Spec sleeping bags, but guys who want to stay warm and dry tend to buy their own like Wiggys, cause the Spec bag...well....sucks, but it does meet a certain standard.

Again, this comes back to a minimum standard. You can certainly exceed it and some makers do by leaps and bounds. Others seem to trip all over their clown shoes.

I don't disagree that Mil Spec in the AR world is a good thing, BUT I don't think it is the end all and be all of the world either. Like many things it is meerly a good guide.

Like anything else in life it comes down to your needs. I tend to look at my firearms the way I do a seatbelt or fire extinguisher. If I'm grabbing it, it needs to work.

If all you need is something for blasting at the plinking pit every third saturday or a prop for fancy internet photography there are certainly products out there that can accommodate you with the look and feel of an AR without the quality of substance or the associated price tag.

Now I have never worked at a range Kanigit, so I can only go by the very minimal examples of AR,s I have actually seen, shot , or been around (and I am sure that number is very small compaired to your experience), but the vast majority of AR problems I have encounterd have come from one and only one source..............the OWNER of that AR. It only takes one or two folks that don't know how to maintain an AR who buy brand X and have trouble with it, and who can *type better than they can read an owners manual when Viola brand X is just plain JUNK!!!*(note: dreaded inter-web refference).

This I agree with. Operator error, like almost anything else firearm related, is a very big problem. One major contributor to that problem is the lore and tales that either get passed along institutionally (by the service) or person-to-person. This lore and ******** includes such wonderful things as, 'all parts are the same' and 'the gun will blow up if you don't stagger the bolt rings'.

That being said, an inexperienced owner mixed with a gun that isn't built correctly just is not going to end well. Knowledge can mitigate some things on a bad gun but a turd can only be polished so far.

My run down from the top, and of course this is once again from a very minimal amount of exposure to Ars, The most broken AR parts I have ever encountered, Had break Myself, or was present while they broke were COLTand FN parts. Bolts, Carriers, hammer pins, and tri-burt parts. I even had a sprung upper receiver right from the Factory in a BRAND NEW Colt L.E. Carbine...that met ALL Mil Specs. This isn't to say Colt is bad it points out that even the best can miss stuff and just because it meets spec doesn't mean it is necessarily good. (And it may also mean that I have been mainly around Colts, and FNs (LE/Military), but since I have very limited exposure to ARs in general that can't be it)

Just so that we can all be clear, things wear out when they get used. In it's simplest form a semi-automatic firearm is a combustion engine. If you run an engine with dirty oil or without oil for too long it will get damaged. Same thing for a high mileage gun. Ever notice how some brands of cars seem to last around 100k miles and then just bite the bullet and others can go 250-300k before needing an overhaul? Not all parts are the same. True for cars and for guns both.

Additionally, everyone who manufactures parts for these guns makes a certain percentage of crap parts. The good manufacturers simply makes less crap, do a better job of catching it before it hits the street or some combination of the two.

Bushmaster is constantly bashed so here we go. Yes they had a problem with their sight drilling jig, and they shipped their rifles very DRY, (as does DPMS)...in the 90s. That has all changed! and since they now sendd their rifles with more lube from the factory, many of the complaints have gone way down...HMMM make one wonder about the people buying them. I had a chance to "hear" about several training classes done in South America by Bushmaster for a country who bought their rifles. The trainer they hired made sure that the very first thing they did before shooting the first rounds was to clean and LUBE the hell out of them. They only had 3 rifles go down for the entire training phase out of 1500 rifles....HMMMM. That is the same trainer that now starts all his Carbine classes by stripping and oiling the carbines and has had great success with all the rifles running in his classes.

Bushmaster gets bashed on because they deserve it. Between incorrect twist rates on barrels to improperly staked carrier keys and chambers that don't match what they've stamped on the barrel there are plenty of reasons to avoid Bushmaster. They have earned their reputation; details really do matter.

DPMS comes very dry as noted before, and will have a bit of problem sometimes. Once lubed up and fed good ammo...VIOLA a good running AR. I knew of a guy who once was commisioned by Privi Partisan to see how dirty their ammo was compaired to Wolf. He was given a boat load of ammo and 3 DPMS ARs. First one was shot out of the box, the second one lubed and shot to failure and the 3rd just oiled through the bolt holes and a little on the carrier rails every 500 rounds. First gun went about 400 rounds and started acting up, short cycle, double feed etc. second one went 1300 rounds before trouble, third one kept running and running and running till the groups opened up to 5 MOA and only half the barrel had any of those little groovey things, and the gas rings looked like hairs instead of rings. This doesn't say all DPMS rilfes are good it just points out that maintainance is IMPORTANT!

Now I don't know as I don't pack and ship guns for DPMS but it is likely coated with a preservative, not lubricant. The rest of this has little bearing on the subject at hand. It's amazing how well machines run when you give them even just basic maintenance and care...

Saw a Noveske rifle continually fail the other day, short stroke/double feed faile to eject, bolt wouldn't lock back on the last round. Seem that the guys at "the Range" had swapped out his butt stock and had used an A2 length stock screw to anchore his collapsable stock to the main spring tube, cause they lost the one that came with the NON MIL SPEC M.O.E. Does that make Noveske bad? The guy who owned it was sure it was a JUNK rifle and was very upset he paid so much for a pile of crap! It is amazing that a $1.25 screw changed his out-look entirely

Again, very little bearing on the subject at hand. The quality (or lack thereof) of the guns can be enhanced (or not) by the modifications of the end user. If the end user doesn't know what they are doing the results will usually show this.

I'm off to bed.
Ek

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just so that we can all be clear, things wear out when they get used.

Kurt has a funny way of saying things here. Suffice to say that he's shot barrels/guns to death for years, and he's saying that if it was his money to spend, he'd buy DPMS. So take that for what it is.

Bring out those ATAS BCM carbines to the 3-gun match next Month in Arcadia or the USSA rifle match. You'll have a lot of fun and learn a bit about your abilities and your equipment, plus you can make fun of my DPMS barrel.

Of course it's the person behind that trigger that determines how effective a weapon is, and there are some local shooters around here that are more dangerous with Red Ryder BB guns than the average guy toting an AR-15. :wave:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually copied Matt, you did help me out a bunch during my build. Josh is the one that built my rifle as well. It is somewhat unfortunate that my rifle turned out cooler than yours. Lol...

In your dreams! I did cheap out on a few things. I still had a year left of college when I put it together. Moneys were tighter back then for sure. I still like how it turned out though. Maybe it was Matt that stated this copying Dustin trail. :D

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you have been up so long I will keep this short, but what exactly is an "incorrect twist rate"?

What is an improperly staked carrier key? I know what the consensus is BUT is that the ONLY way? I can count on one hand the number of loose keys I have seen...admitedly from once again a very small number of rifles/carbines, and in every case they hadn't been staked at all, kind of an oversight at the old Q.C. area of the plant, 3 Colt M-4s and one Armalite. I just haven't seen the amount of failure all this talk about staking seems to indicate. I know of two high end builders that use only the little dimples in 3 places and have never had a problem. One blasphemous guy uses high temp red Loc-Tite and has never had a key come loose even in full auto guns that have seen several barrels.

We do agree that you don't work for DPMS though, and they do ship dry.

We do agree that you dislike Bushmaster and yet you seem to regurgitate the same old stuff some one told some one who knew a guy who....well we get it. I think no personal experience is involved, although I always thought an "incorrect twist" would get you thrown out of a dance contest! KurtM

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, Don't get me wrong here, I am not ANTI Mil Spec. If two bolt and carrier setups were laying side by side and I knew one was mil spec and the other I didn't know I would grab the mil spec. Would I buy a mil spec barrel...YES but for burning out not for general use, WHY? Because I want more out of my barrels than can be provided by a mil spec barrel. I also would buy any of the ABCS parts without reservation. I also wouldn't touch the mil spec bolt and carrier if a good J.P. unit was on the table next to it. I would NEVER run a mil spec trigger...unless it is in a full auto gun and even then I have run J.P.s in them as well. There was a time when in order to get quality parts it was advised to buy Mil Spec, but these days anything you get from a major manufacturer is good gear. Does anyone really think that Bushmaster doesn't do all they can to make a good rifle when they know DPMS, SABER, ARMALITE and a host of other makers could take away all their market? DO you really think DPMS would continue to make junk?

As for a rifle or carbine that "has to work" that is up to you! For a rifle I depend on, it is fired often, it is cleaned and oil more often and everytimne I have it apart it is thouroughly inspected and all screws and fasteners checked, and any wear part CLOSELY inspected....it matters not who made it in todays world, if it has survived the intitial 1000 rounds you are adequate to travel....which is "non operator" for "Good to Go". KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom