High End AR-15: If you had 1 choice...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's kind of laughable to think that high volume manufacturers are hand fitting parts and tuning rifles for optimal performance. Those places are slapping parts together as quickly as possible and firing 1-2 function test rounds.

Colt rifles are assembled by UAW members, the quality of their builds is marginal at best, anymore.

Rifles with quality parts (mil spec or better), properly assembled will function just fine. If I'm in a life or death situation in my home, I do not need to worry if I can get off several thousand rounds before failure, I need to know that I can run 30 rounds without failure.
Exactly!

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice rifle. I have 3 AR platform rifles... 2 of which I assembled the lowers completely, 1 Upper myself and 1 Upper was from Noveske. The AR10 is from POF and I've added a couple little parts that weren't an option on it. I think were it really adds up is when people buy a basic AR-15 and then go to town changing out all the furniture, BCG, Charging Handle, Trigger, Sights, etc... when you could've 'built' it from the get-go w/the exact parts you wanted. Some people are definitely more qualified and do a better job of assembly than others, but the AR 15 not that hard to put together these days w/the specs and availability of SO many quality parts on the market.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd have to quantify "superior" to start off with. While BCM offers a metric ton of configurations, I'd say being restricted to configurations that aren't compatible with the user's specific needs, isn't superior. BCM probably isn't even a good example. While they do offer some basic, no frills rifles, most of the ones they sell aren't. They're what you'd rightly call a semi-custom, and you pay semi-custom prices. Same goes for Noveske to a lesser extent, and a handful of others.

If you're a patrol officer and need a slightly overgassed 16" patrol carbine that won't break the bank, will reliably send any ammo you feed it, while still tolerating a moderate amount of neglect, I'll recommend a Colt 6920

If you're a prolific rifle class aficionado, I'll recommend going to KAC, BCM, Noveske, etc.

If you're "Burk Cornelius" and need a 3-Gun rig that will reliably send A-Zone hits at warp speed out to 600, I'll recommend an 18" JP Rifles CTR-02.

If you're a hog hunter who also wants his rifle to double for deer in the Midwest, I'll recommend Bison Armory for a 6.8. If you're a western varmint hunter, ARP, and so on and so on...

If it's me and I've owned stuff from a bunch of the above, plus have the requisite time, tools and expertise to build, I'm probably gonna build. Keep in mind that even though I've paid for complete Noveske and BCM rifles, I tend to be cheap and hunt sales. I also demand quality, which means top shelf components, albeit on sale or at least what I consider a bargain. If a part comes in slightly out of spec, I'll either return it, or work it until it's in spec. If it's got a burr, I'm gonna remove it. If it's a friction part and it has a rough surface, I'm gonna polish it. Whatever the issue, when it's built, it won't have any issues. It will be the right length, weight, balance, caliber, recoil, trigger, optic and muzzle attachment, and it's gonna work.

The one plus to the factory rifles above is that if I have to sell it, it will have wider appeal and better retained value. That's why I recommended KAC on page one.

That doesn't mean a factory or even semi-custom rifle is superior to a specific home build. If you've seen one home build, you've seen one home build, not all home builds. JMO, YMMV.

I build my own with the same mind toward cleaning up any imperfections, and it isn't hammered together.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm late on this one. I run a Noveske and a LaRue for my high dollar rifles. Granted my LaRue is their cheapest rifle at 1900. I have about another 800 into it and it's a tack driver with my personal best of .396 MOA at 100 with the Noveske at a close second. I didn't measure the Noveske but it was under half an inch.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been around a lot of rifles in my short stint as a shooter/LEO/LE firearms instructor and my two "high dollar" rifles fit me the best. That being said, a high produced weapon will do what any other AR does, the higher end ones just do it a little better far away. That also being said, there are builds out there that will absolutely outshoot any high dollar AR out there. I'm not good enough to show full potential of my guns, but they will do work for me 300yards and in to keep me and my family alive. That's all you need, whether it cost you 400 or 4000.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got in the game of AR15s and I found it just personal preference for AR15 on configuration but also a person needs to learn how to shoot and spend the time behind their rifle. This build that was finished is my prized AR15.

Latest posts

Top Bottom