High End AR-15: If you had 1 choice...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree and some of the places out there that claim to be great at it honestly suck. Since we haven't heard the name in a while how about we educate firefighterguy about Rojas?

And my AR functions great and built it on the kitchen table, not to mention that rather than buying some off the shelf build I got just what I wanted without spending the premium price I would have buying it built my way.

That is how I felt, the gun I was going to buy was LWRC-DI that was $1459 not including tax and then I fell in love with a DD MK12 but couldn't find it in my heart to be spending a little over $2K. So instead I went to a Safe Home Consulting/Big Bear Arms and spoke with Charles and Pat and decided why not build a rifle to my liking with ambi features (I am a lefty), rifle length 18 inch (Nordic Barrel I believe I don't remember will get a spreadsheet of the build), upgraded trigger to the Geissele Flat trigger 3.5lb. Keymod Rail which I don't care, I think my optic is a 1x6 or 1x8x24 from Primary Arms with the ACSS scope which is a badass scope! Overall, I am happy with what I got vs. buying a pre-built and then spending more money to get it to my liking.

Now can someone now show me how to shoot it!

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disagree completely. I don't doubt the comment about the AR's failing in class because there are a lot of bubbas out there but to say that an individual can't build an AR to those factories' standards is ludicrous. In fact, there is no way they have the time or manpower to build their AR's to my tolerances.

And if you feel that strongly about your builds, you are an outlier to my previous statements.

But every time someone starts a thread about which ar to get people suggest that they build one. They suggest that without knowing anything about the individuals level of knowledge of the platform. Which is why there are bubba rifles out there.

Also I would love to hear why your rifle is superior to say bcm, which aren't even high tier based off price? I'm not disagreeing I would just like to know?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't build a rifle if I was going to trust my life to it.

I can't believe no one has mentioned BCM. Also check out sionics.

I have a BCM Mod O. Not high end by any means but a solid AR that was only about $1,100. The sight on it is a Meprolight ... great red dot sight for not a lot of money.

Attachments

• BCM wMeprolight1.jpg
    BCM wMeprolight1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 162

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's kind of laughable to think that high volume manufacturers are hand fitting parts and tuning rifles for optimal performance. Those places are slapping parts together as quickly as possible and firing 1-2 function test rounds.

Colt rifles are assembled by UAW members, the quality of their builds is marginal at best, anymore.

Rifles with quality parts (mil spec or better), properly assembled will function just fine. If I'm in a life or death situation in my home, I do not need to worry if I can get off several thousand rounds before failure, I need to know that I can run 30 rounds without failure.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And if you feel that strongly about your builds, you are an outlier to my previous statements.

But every time someone starts a thread about which ar to get people suggest that they build one. They suggest that without knowing anything about the individuals level of knowledge of the platform. Which is why there are bubba rifles out there.

Also I would love to hear why your rifle is superior to say bcm, which aren't even high tier based off price? I'm not disagreeing I would just like to know?

You'd have to quantify "superior" to start off with. While BCM offers a metric ton of configurations, I'd say being restricted to configurations that aren't compatible with the user's specific needs, isn't superior. BCM probably isn't even a good example. While they do offer some basic, no frills rifles, most of the ones they sell aren't. They're what you'd rightly call a semi-custom, and you pay semi-custom prices. Same goes for Noveske to a lesser extent, and a handful of others.

If you're a patrol officer and need a slightly overgassed 16" patrol carbine that won't break the bank, will reliably send any ammo you feed it, while still tolerating a moderate amount of neglect, I'll recommend a Colt 6920

If you're a prolific rifle class aficionado, I'll recommend going to KAC, BCM, Noveske, etc.

If you're "Burk Cornelius" and need a 3-Gun rig that will reliably send A-Zone hits at warp speed out to 600, I'll recommend an 18" JP Rifles CTR-02.

If you're a hog hunter who also wants his rifle to double for deer in the Midwest, I'll recommend Bison Armory for a 6.8. If you're a western varmint hunter, ARP, and so on and so on...

If it's me and I've owned stuff from a bunch of the above, plus have the requisite time, tools and expertise to build, I'm probably gonna build. Keep in mind that even though I've paid for complete Noveske and BCM rifles, I tend to be cheap and hunt sales. I also demand quality, which means top shelf components, albeit on sale or at least what I consider a bargain. If a part comes in slightly out of spec, I'll either return it, or work it until it's in spec. If it's got a burr, I'm gonna remove it. If it's a friction part and it has a rough surface, I'm gonna polish it. Whatever the issue, when it's built, it won't have any issues. It will be the right length, weight, balance, caliber, recoil, trigger, optic and muzzle attachment, and it's gonna work.

The one plus to the factory rifles above is that if I have to sell it, it will have wider appeal and better retained value. That's why I recommended KAC on page one.

That doesn't mean a factory or even semi-custom rifle is superior to a specific home build. If you've seen one home build, you've seen one home build, not all home builds. JMO, YMMV.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is an important distinction that is often left out of the conversation.

Of the very few builds I've had to sell, they retained their value because when people who knew me found out I was selling, they wanted them. They knew what they were getting and they knew if there were any issues, I'd make it right. Not everyone can do that.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of the very few builds I've had to sell, they retained their value because when people who knew me found out I was selling, they wanted them. They knew what they were getting and they knew if there were any issues, I'd make it right. Not everyone can do that.

I had someone offer me twice what I had in my first build when he saw it. Said he had the cash at his place and he would take it then and there. Being my first build I never plan to sell it but he knew that since I built it for myself it would be done right and function great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom