How can I stop a fax machine from ringing my landline every 4 minutes?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had that happen at our old house. It was Integis that had a bad fax number for something. they figured it out the next day.

Do you have a laptop with a phone modem still? yes I know old school. you should be able to get a free fax manager if your computer doesn't already have one.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, for the last 3 days our phone has been ringing off the hook with the caller id reading:

Credit Services
Unknown Number

Most computers have a fax modem. If yours has one, use it as a fax machine to receive the message. It might be just one page that they are trying to fax over and over till they get an answer.
I had the same problem once, a lawyers office kept dialing. I received the fax that included their phone number, gave them a call, they apologized, case closed.
And KMart.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unplugging is not an option considering that the #1 purpose of this phone line is for our alarm company.

Changing the number is an option, but a hassle.

I setup a digital fax on a laptop, but as soon as I did, the faxes stopped (before the computer was hooked into the phone) and also remembered I had an old multi-function device in our spare bedroom closet that I'll hook up if this digital fax doesn't work. I'll leave it on tomorrow to see what comes through.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unplugging is not an option considering that the #1 purpose of this phone line is for our alarm company.

This doesn't have anything to do with your fax problems but have you thought about going wireless on your alarm system? I did and was then able to cancel the landline phone. Since it never rang anyway it seemed like a useless expense.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This doesn't have anything to do with your fax problems but have you thought about going wireless on your alarm system? I did and was then able to cancel the landline phone. Since it never rang anyway it seemed like a useless expense.

Yep, but it costs $10 (I believe) to monitor via landline and it's twice as much for wireless monitoring. We pay $3/mo for our landline so we're only saving a whopping $7/mo. So we may just do that.

You still have a land line? :lmfao:

Get to work.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You can still unplug your phone(s) from their jack(s). The alarm system won't answer the call but will still be plugged in or hardwired or however it's setup.

The idea is that hopefully if the autofax doesn't get an answer for a period of time, it will give up and erase your number on it's own.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find the number and can get ahold of your own fax machine…

clicky clicky clicky

Oh I am definitely adding this to my list of thing to do for annoying calls/faxes. As far as the alarm, I don't have any phones, but they call my cell if the alarm goes off. That way no matter where I am at I get notified, not just if I am at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom