How many AR's have you built AND headspaced?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One and none. I built the lower and bought the upper from FBT. i am sure they head spaced it.

I haven't fired it yet. If it blows up I will know.

Does building the lower count as a build? It is my first time and I don't know the rules.

Why am I laughing?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Built half a dozen or so, never headspaced.

However, if a person was so inclined to learn to do it and buy the tools for the purpose of learning, more power to them.

As an engineer, the more I've learned and understood about the AR-15 design, the more I appreciate it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Built my first 5.56 from scratch barrel in 1982. Built my first in 7.62x39 in 1987. Wish I never sold it. Olympic arms with whom I was discussing the specs such as bolt head dia. and gas port size came out with one 6 months later.
Total built from scratch 6 I was doing fluting and spiral octagons before it was kool.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
headspacing is not checking the headspace. its setting up the headspace; on AR's its done at the time the chamber is reamed.

Unless what youre doing is reaming the chamber, all youre doing is checking the headspace. (assuming bolt is within specification).

.223 AR's I only started checking headspace when I started selling them. I highly suggest folks building .308 parent cased LR-308's and ar-10's find some gauges. Ive seen issues with them.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. I highly suggest folks building .308 parent cased LR-308's and ar-10's find some gauges. Ive seen issues with them.

I think thats mostly because unlike the AR there is no industry standard. There is 3 or 4 platforms and some parts interchange and some don't and then there are people making parts that are supposed to bridge the gap but don't really.

Thats why I've stayed away from the 308's until the finalize a industry standard.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the others ,never headspaced one. All of the ones I've done already had the barrel extensions in place. I've build six. One was a .300 Whisper back when only J.D.Jones was the only one selling them. It took quite abit of R&D to get it to cycle subsonics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom