Hunting with an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get very frustrated with this idea that it's wrong to hunt dear (or anything) with an AR. Most clubs, refuges, and Guided trips will not let you use them. I don't want to get into the argument of wether the .223 is strong enough. I've killed deer (and alligators) all my life with a .223. Anyways, my question is about the gun, not the caliber. We can use an AR-10 (.308) if you'd like.
However, There was an article is the American Riflemen a month, or two ago about the growing number of hunters using assault rifles.
Why is there resistance?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get very frustrated with this idea that it's wrong to hunt dear (or anything) with an AR. Most clubs, refuges, and Guided trips will not let you use them. I don't want to get into the argument of wether the .223 is strong enough. I've killed deer (and alligators) all my life with a .223. Anyways, my question is about the gun, not the caliber. We can use an AR-10 (.308) if you'd like.
However, There was an article is the American Riflemen a month, or two ago about the growing number of hunters using assault rifles.
Why is there resistance?

Many fudds (and shotgunners) are abhorrent of the idea that a modern military pattern arm could be used for anything other than killing humans. It sullies the misty eyed, plaid patterned memories of the good ole days before all this newfangledness. Of course, most of them don't mind using a $700 stainless steel, synthetic stocked, sniper scope equipped, near smokeless propellant stoked muzzle loader that will shoot 200+ yards.

I'm sure plenty of old timer buffalo hunters probably though the newbs with their racy Springfield trapdoors and their self contained cartridges were committing sacrilege as well. There's always a resistance from generation to generation. After all, who needs a gas operated, low recoil, self-loading, sub-MOA rifle to cleanly kill game? ;)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone who is against "assault weapons" for hunting is not a gun-person and clearly doesn't even give a damn about the 2nd amendment (not to mention the fact that they would call something an assault weapon or assault rifle that is completely different from a real assault rifle).

These types of people are usually very good at judging books by their cover and don't much care for the fact that they are completely wrong by all logical reasoning.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone who is against "assault weapons" for hunting is not a gun-person and clearly doesn't even give a damn about the 2nd amendment (not to mention the fact that they would call something an assault weapon or assault rifle that is completely different from a real assault rifle).

These types of people are usually very good at judging books by their cover and don't much care for the fact that they are completely wrong by all logical reasoning.

I HATE the term assualt weapon. A spoon can be an assault weapon. An AR is a semi-automatic sporting rifle.

I speak up anytime I ever hear someone using the term.

Not saying that you use the term Andy, just saying I hate it.

BadWin45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drives me nuts too but fortunately, I don't have to deal with hunting clubs etc. Functionally, they're no different than say a Remington 750. They're semi-auto rifles with a detachable box mag but somehow they're not "sporting" cause they're scary looking or they take magazines capable of holding more than 5 rounds. I even had some :loser: at BassPro tell me so.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah it kinda erks me as well, i mean you can use a mag fed rifle and have a mag w 30 rounds as long as it isnt an AR or another 223. what kinda sense is this? i mean no one frowns on a young hunter using a single shot 223? i mean my AR isnt one of my first few choices to hunt deer w , but i thought of taking it out one day for the fun of it. and for assault id rather have a guy shooting at me 500yrds away w a an AR than a 7mag . if you try to figure our laws out you will become a very ignorant man in the process

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah it kinda erks me as well, i mean you can use a mag fed rifle and have a mag w 30 rounds as long as it isnt an AR or another 223. what kinda sense is this? i mean no one frowns on a young hunter using a single shot 223? i mean my AR isnt one of my first few choices to hunt deer w , but i thought of taking it out one day for the fun of it. and for assault id rather have a guy shooting at me 500yrds away w a an AR than a 7mag . if you try to figure our laws out you will become a very ignorant man in the process

Well - our ODWC regs for .22 center-fire detachable mags are indeed stupid, but the average fud would no more want an AK in 7.62 on his giuded hunt or club than an AR in .223.

Some folks dislike all "evil rifles" the same regardless of caliber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom