Hunting with an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But it will not be lighter, more corrosion resistant or more accurate than an equivalent bolt gun ... and still cost twice the money.

Ummm, my bolt was almost twice as much as my noveske clone AR. And price is moot because I can always say, fine go get a cheap bolt. Now you have 2 rifles, 1 is multi purpose the other is just for hunting. Point being, the arguments of price points is futile since it can be manipulated in heavy favor of the AR style rifles.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But it will not be lighter, more corrosion resistant or more accurate than an equivalent bolt gun ... and still cost twice the money.

Yeah - this is absolutely not true in any way. I've yet to see even a youth bolt-action rifle with a tiny scope that weighs less than 6lbs (my son's AR).

How about the fact that you can carry higher capacity? Because aside from our ODWC restrictions on Deer, nothing else says I can't have 30rds when going after a bunch of Hogs, Coyotes, Prarie Dogs, etc...

I do a lot of hiking when hunting Hogs (not so much for Deer, but occassionally), and I'd much rather drag around a tiny AR carbine through the brush than carry a bolt-action.

True - if it were a lever-action carbine, then it would probably be lightweight and smaller, but then the argument could be made that those guns are "cowboy guns" and we don't need them in the hunting world.

Fact is - classifying only certain rifles as "hunting rifles" is doing the same thing as classifying some rifles as "evil rifles".

Saying that you can cut bread with a Ka-Bar is equating hunting with an AR as being more difficult than hunting with a bolt-action rifle - that's not true in any way - name one thing that you can do better/easier with a "hunting rifle" than an AR.

What about non-threatening semi-auto hunting rifles? That's probably a more accurate comparison and in that case, the AR is truly superior to any other choice.

I'd much rather have an AR than a modern-day BAR hunting rifle or Remington Semi-Auto "hunting-style" rifle (not talking about their new ARs).

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummm, my bolt was almost twice as much as my noveske clone AR. And price is moot because I can always say, fine go get a cheap bolt. Now you have 2 rifles, 1 is multi purpose the other is just for hunting. Point being, the arguments of price points is futile since it can be manipulated in heavy favor of the AR style rifles.

You had a 18" sporter barrel 22cal rifle that weighed over 10lb? I said equivalent ...

How many purposes are there for a rifle? Defense, hunting, competition, recreation? Obviously anything that spits a projectile can be multipurpose.

I won't mention price again.

Don't get me wrong - in no form I am trying to say that you shouldn't take AR hunting, I just don't see why would you other than the reason mentioned in my first post.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You had a 18" sporter barrel 22cal rifle that weighed over 10lb? I said equivalent ...

How many purposes are there for a rifle? Defense, hunting, competition, recreation? Obviously anything that spits a projectile can be multipurpose.

I won't mention price again.

Don't get me wrong - in no form I am trying to say that you shouldn't take AR hunting, I just don't see why would you other than the reason mentioned in my first post.

Twice as much is the value not the weight. My AR and my Bolt are about the same in weight.

I have a very high dollar bolt action that the AR rivals in accuracy and weight. However, the AR has more uses (defense, SHTF, plinking). Dont get me wrong either, for hunting, I am very much a bolt guy. But there are more reasons to use the AR platform other than "you are justa fan of ARs".

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can carry a 150gn round in a 24" barrel in 7lbs with supreme accuracy and reliability.

So my .308 with a 21" ( I can get 3 more inches in my barrel device, at least thats what I tell my wife. ) barrel that weighs a few ounces, loaded over 7lbs, isnt an AR?

[Broken External Image]

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sounders with 20+ pigs have been spotted just east of my place at home. They're also mean - a doc in Texas got cut up pretty bad by a boar about a month ago. He killed it with the last shot out of his bolt gun.

If I go looking for hogs, I go with a 30 round mag in the AR and a sidearm. I hear getting eaten by pigs is a rough way to go.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can carry a 150gn round in a 24" barrel in 7lbs with supreme accuracy and reliability.

First off - I've yet to see a factory hunting rifle that had better accuracy than any decent AR until you get into well higher prices that are equiv or more than an AR.

And an AR-10 will carry more rounds than a typical "hunting rifle" and do it with the same level of accuracy as long as there's a decent barrel on it.

I would love to see an example of a scoped 7lb bolt-action hunting rifle that has supreme accuracy for less than $2000.

Latest posts

Top Bottom