Hunting with an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets be civil guys. Remember we are on the internet, and some things get taken wrong or blown out of proportion.

Back on topic, I dont understand that "AR not being for 1 shot 1 kill". Is that not what the MK12 Mod X was specifically for? Thats 5.56 through an 18" barrel. Most guys running 16" barrels are using muzzle devices that push their overall barrel lengh way past my flash hid 18".

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let the name calling begin - I love cyberbullies!!!:thanku:
Page 4
First off, I never said that I need 30rd mags.
Page 2
How about the fact that you can carry higher capacity? Because aside from our ODWC restrictions on Deer, nothing else says I can't have 30rds when going after a bunch of Hogs, Coyotes, Prarie Dogs, etc...

Who's got (let me pick a good one here) ... keyboard diarrhea now?

You claim nobody reads your posts (btw I've seen you use the same argument in other threads ... followed by name calling ... followed by locking) - maybe the lacking is on your side of comprehension, not everybody else.

:tounge2:

Back on topic ....

An argument was made that ARs are light. All I said that it is not true if compared to equivalent bolt gun.
- Barrel length was brought up because barrel is one of the heaviest components - and shorter barrel is lighter barrel.
- Chambering was brought up because you can't get a bolt gun specifically designed for .223 like AR15 is.
With that said, and since the topic starter stated that AR10 is fair game, the only fair comparison would be sporter barrel bolt gun VS AR10.

.223 is a marginal round - depending on bullet choice it falls between legal and illegal on deer.
6" loss in barrel length drops about 10% of velocity - that's 19% of energy if my physics memory serves me right.
As far as "insurgent" argument - you might want to check shots fired per kill to see how "easy" it is.

P.S. Again, I don't have any issues with hunting with AR10/15 or BB gun for that matter. As long as it's legal - it's your gun and it's your time. I'm just being devil's advocate :fallangel.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The minimum recomended energy for quick kills on deer is around 1000ft.lbs.What that means to me is 223 with a well placed shot inside 150 yards would be acceptable.I wouldn't go after trophy bucks with the 223 but I am considering it for doe hunting.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Longer barrel is required to achieve muzzle velocity. You take a marginal round and fire it at marginal velocity - no wonder you need 30 round mag. Yes, lots of deer gets taken by .223, but I don't see how it is any different than bringing up 22LR, other than legality.

Let go over the facts:
AR15 derived from M16 - primary purpose: controlled full automatic fire
.223 derived from .222 - primary purpose: punching paper and later varmint hunting

Wow. This entire post is :screwy:.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for proving my point.

Some how, this:

Because aside from our ODWC restrictions on Deer, nothing else says I can't have 30rds when going after a bunch of Hogs, Coyotes, Prarie Dogs, etc...

means that I need 30rd mags? That's exactly what I said isn't it? How about the fact that I'm saying that I shouldn't be limited from using whatever the hell I want (with respect to legal firearms) for any legal sporting purpose?

I love the "Why do you need that" argument - this feels strangely like I'm having an argument with an anti-gun person. You've clearly got some issues with what you consider "assault weapons" and you chose to try and derail this thread by injecting your ideals into it and no one has bought anything that you have to say.

Check this out:

MoBoost said:
I guess the question is why would you want to use one, other than "cuz I can"?

Al Gore said:
I've hunted before, but I never contemplated hunting deer or anything else with an AK-47.

You want name-calling, how about this one - you're posts in this thread have all been extremely anti-"Assault weapon" and that quite frankly, is anti-gun.

You claim nobody reads your posts

No - I claim you aren't reading my posts - but now that I look back, clearly you're reading them with the "anti-assault-weapon" blinders on.

btw I've seen you use the same argument in other threads ... followed by name calling ... followed by locking

You haven't been around long enough to see me do much of anything - you've been here a year - and I'm less than impressed with the fact that you're somehow stalking me through my posts.

An argument was made that ARs are light. All I said that it is not true if compared to equivalent bolt gun.
- Barrel length was brought up because barrel is one of the heaviest components - and shorter barrel is lighter barrel.
- Chambering was brought up because you can't get a bolt gun specifically designed for .223 like AR15 is.
With that said, and since the topic starter stated that AR10 is fair game, the only fair comparison would be sporter barrel bolt gun VS AR10.

This is what people do when their invalid argument is called to the carpet - they start making up new rules to help them prove their point (even if there was no point in the first place).

This is the same thing as little Jimmy saying "nuh-uh, the bumper on that car is base, you can't tag me".

No one brought up "equivalent" gun - that's a crap argument since ARs aren't at all like bolt-action guns. Why does an AR have to be equivalent to what you define as a "hunting rifle" for it to be used in an argument - weren't you the one who brought up this little gem:

I don't think deer gets impressed with flash lights, laser sights or shoulder thing that goes up
Doesn't that statement alone suggest that you think we're using ARs that aren't equivalent to your "deer rifle"?

.223 is a marginal round - depending on bullet choice it falls between legal and illegal on deer.

Again - I brought up the fact that there are other things to hunt here than deer - you don't seem to have a snappy comeback about how you read that part of my post because you choose to keep ignoring it because it invalidates your argument.

6" loss in barrel length drops about 10% of velocity - that's 19% of energy if my physics memory serves me right.
Please read the link I posted with actual facts specific to .223 and barrel differences.

As far as "insurgent" argument - you might want to check shots fired per kill to see how "easy" it is.
Yeah - and if the deer/hogs/coyotes were armed, it would make the shots fired/per/kill ratio a lot different here as well - way to take the one off-topic part of the point I was making and zero in on it.

P.S. Again, I don't have any issues with hunting with AR10/15 or BB gun for that matter. As long as it's legal - it's your gun and it's your time. I'm just being devil's advocate :fallangel.

Let me go ahead and spell it out for you - you're not playing devil's advocate here - you're being anti-gun - period.

If you want the ability to use your gun, yet you don't think others should be able to use their guns (or you want to come up with a whole bunch of arguments against using their guns - most of which are invalid), you're just like any other anti-gun elitist who owns guns but doesn't want other folks to have their guns (and are massively mis-informed about them).

I'll just keep refering you back to your quote and Al Gore's quote from now on - I'm out of this topic.

Iwant1 if you want to start another thread where we're not being bombed by anti-gun crap, feel free to man - it was a good thread until the poop started flying.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The minimum recomended energy for quick kills on deer is around 1000ft.lbs.What that means to me is 223 with a well placed shot inside 150 yards would be acceptable.I wouldn't go after trophy bucks with the 223 but I am considering it for doe hunting.

Out of 16" barrel 1000ft/lb is carried out to about 35 yards.

Wow. This entire post is :screwy:.

Please, explain. Am I lying? My facts are not straight? My math is bad? My grammar is bad?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me go ahead and spell it out for you - you're not playing devil's advocate here - you're being anti-gun - period.

So because I don't think that AR is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel I'm anti-gun ... whatever.

P.S. I own over 20 long guns that I take hunting - including SKS(s). If I had an AR or AK - I'd take them too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom