Hunting with an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While personally, I dont prefer the AR platform for hunting (Im more of a bolt action guy), I did however, have my father out this evening using my 18" AR. He couldnt find any ammo for his old .303 and the stuff he bought at the gunshow failed to detonate at the range.

We will be going every evening and then mornings start wednesday and he will be using my AR.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate that people think AR means = assault rifle instead of Armalite

Or that dont understand that AR-15 is Civilian derived M16 as Kleenex is to tissue.

I guess it doesnt get to me that bad since I, too, refer to all of them as AR15s, but technically, they arent.

What would be a good name for all of them that isnt brand specific? Stoner Style Semi Auto Rifle?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or that dont understand that AR-15 is Civilian derived M16 as Kleenex is to tissue.

I guess it doesnt get to me that bad since I, too, refer to all of them as AR15s, but technically, they arent.

What would be a good name for all of them that isnt brand specific? Stoner Style Semi Auto Rifle?

How about semi-auto sporting rifle - period.

Oh and I like the nascar vs. off-the-lot Chevy Impala analogy - most folks around here get that reference (seeing as how the critical parts underneath the similar looking skin are completely different).

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother just bought the S&W .223 and no one will let him hunt with it because its an "assault rifle" and is used in the military. They think he's just going to go rambo on their land.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RE: TOPIC
Hunting is just like sniping - ONE SHOT ONE KILL :50cal:
AR platform was not designed to be such a weapon. :gun1:
Besides, I don't think deer gets impressed with flash lights, laser sights or shoulder thing that goes up.

Yes you can hunt with - you can also cut bread with Ka-Bar ....

I guess the question is why would you want to use one, other than "cuz I can"?

:popcorn:

P.S. Just to make it clear: "cuz I can" is as good reason as any in my book to use your favorite rifle.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RE: TOPIC
Hunting is just like sniping - ONE SHOT ONE KILL :50cal:
AR platform was not designed to be such a weapon. :gun1:
Besides, I don't think deer gets impressed with flash lights, laser sights or shoulder thing that goes up.

Yes you can hunt with - you can also cut bread with Ka-Bar ....

I guess the question is why would you want to use one, other than "cuz I can"?

:popcorn:

P.S. Just to make it clear: "cuz I can" is as good reason as any in my book to use your favorite rifle.

1.) Lightweight
2.) Corrosion Resistent
3.) Accuracy

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get it either. I never knew there was this type of feelings from some hunters until Zumbo wrote what he wrote. I was a long time fan of Zumbo's until that time. I don't know. I still feel like the whole thing could have been handled better. It was a lose lose situation.

"Sorry, folks, but in my humble opinion these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them. I'll go so far as to call them 'terrorist' rifles.' - Jim Zumbo

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007...tml?source=RSSattr=Opinion:Blogophile_2562694

Latest posts

Top Bottom